For better or for worse we are back.
While Nurse Thompson put Oliver back on the road to recovery it seems as though she gave him just enough antibiotics for the devil inside Oliver to recover, but not the sweet little boy I know and love (this was confirmed by Oliver's pediatrician back home who stated he'd been under-dosed and upped his antibiotics). Given that, our last several days were, shall I say, trying.
We did, however, manage to do a bit of adventuring.





One of the most amazing places in the world is Baker's Bay on Great
Guana Cay. The first time I went there there was nothing - just close to six miles of unimaginable sand and blue-green water. While Baker's Bay remains secluded, it is changing - for the first time we weren't the only people on the beach, instead the beach was crowded (we were joined by another family (ok, so a total of 10 people on the beach may not sound crowded, but...)). Also, a golf course has been put in nearby and multi-million dollar homes are being built (and we were told that the likes of
Beyonce and Jay-Z and Derek
Jeter had just stayed there). Although these changes will financially benefit the
Abacos, I am selfishly sad to see the changes and to share the seclusion of Baker's.



We started (hopefully) our own coconut grove, planting five palm trees over the period of our stay. As mentioned previously, Oliver was diligent about watering them.

One morning Davis found an
Abaco Boa living in the cistern. The next day he found two - mating. While I wasn't keen about the idea of snakes living (and mating) just a couple feet from where we were all sleeping, I kept reminding myself that their presence will reduce the rodent population (always a plus).

On our trip
Henni's love for Davis got a bit ridiculous. Seriously, I was around for
Henni to eat, otherwise she wanted to stare at Davis. If I was holding her and (gasp) obstructed her view of Davis she got pissed - if she could have pushed me out of the way, she would have. While funny, it was a bit dramatic, we may have (another) drama-queen on our hands.



So we talked about the good (adventuring, love for daddy, snakes to eat the rats) and the bad (sick, devil Oliver, snakes) - now to the ugly. The kids were (surprisingly) wonderful on the plane. While we were waiting to deplane I was standing up, holding on to
Henni as she sat on the top of the seat in the row ahead of us. I was basking the success of our flight and the comments from the people around - "Your children were so good!" "Your children are so cute!" "Excuse, I believe your daughter is leaking." Here you can imagine the sound of the needle being scraped across a record. I look and
Henni is in fact leaking. She has managed to poop up her back and out over her pants, so much so that in the seat in front of us (there was no one sitting there) there was a puddle of poop. Lovely.
We are home though. And with both kids on antibiotics (the right dose) we are on the mend. Oliver is, as of last night, back to being himself and back to sleeping.
Henni is also feeling better and slept from 8 until 6:30 (where did this child come from?!). For a few days I had considered searching out a full time job in order to save me from the craziness of our life, but am now just wanting to have another vacation - one that is a bit more of a vacation than we had. I need a
Bahamavention as it is so called. And, despite what I have been saying for the past week, I would love to share it with the kids.
Love love love the picture of Henni in the pink hoodie. Looks like you guys had a great trip, despite all those nasty germs!
ReplyDeleteAll the posts about the trip were great -- sorry about the ugly stuff but the beach makes it all look worth it.
ReplyDelete