I continue to be astounded by what my children teach me and how much I learn by being a parent. While I have mentioned this many times before, one of the greatest lessons I have learned is that those preconceived notions (or most of them anyway) are bunk.
I never truly understood how birth order shapes personality until Henni was born. When Oliver was born I loved being in the hospital as I was nervous to bring home my first baby - nervous about not having experienced medical staff nearby, hovering, making sure I was doing everything "right." And once I brought him home, while we had lots of visitors, the two of us were peas in a pod - I did nothing but watch him and anticipate his each and every move for the 13 weeks of my maternity leave. When Henni was born, I signed a release so that I could leave the hospital less than 24 hours after her birth - I didn't want to be away from Oliver for too long - and he was starting his first gymnastics class the following day and I wanted to be there. So Monday Henni was born, Tuesday we left the hospital, and Wednesday I was on a trampoline. For the next 13 weeks Henni and I were two peas in a pod - but this time, she was attached to me in some various way (sling, Moby, Ergo, Bjorn...) and the two of us were off chasing Oliver. And, there were times Henni had to not be watched each and every second because Oliver was doing some death defying trick and if Henni were to grow up with an older brother - well, the attention needed to be on him.
Henni has become a very independent girl - she has her own opinions and she will happily play, by herself, for extended periods of time. In fact, she often would prefer some alone-time play. While there were times I felt guilty Henni could not have the same one-on-one attention Oliver had, I see now that my divided attention has enabled Henni to become her own person -- and has illustrated to me the impact of birth order.
Prior to having Henni I thought the whole girl-boy thing was mainly nurture; however, Henni and Oliver have proven this wrong. Oliver is trucks, digging, science, shoes, fashion, blue... Henni is pink, sparkly, fashion, baby, baby stuff... From the start Henni has sought out the babies, has somehow taught herself how to swaddle babies, has flat-out refused to wear Oliver's hand-me downs and instead finds pink butterflies a fashion necessity.
Henni is full of love and opinions. She has few words, but gets her point across - firmly. She watches everything and understands it all. She thinks of herself as invincible and will give most anything a try. When she is hungry she gets her silverware, plate and napkin and sets her place at the table and will sit there until food arrives. And Henni - she is proper - she requires her place setting to be complete and refuses to eat until it is (napkin included).
Either "Oliver" or "Charlie" are her first words out of her mouth in the morning. She loves these two to pieces and knows their schedules and needs. She feeds Charlie, gathers the bags needed for poops, gathers his leash, and will "whistle" to him when it is time for a walk. Henni will remind me it is time to get Oliver from school, or will point out things Oliver would be interested in when we are out and without him.
Despite serious bribery, Henni refuses to potty train. Instead she has taken to changing her own diaper (the pee ones that is) - and often incorporates an outfit change at the same time. Or sometimes she just decides that a diaper change necessitates naked time - a time Henni relishes and a time that terrifies Davis.
I love Henni to pieces. I love her spirit, her love and her individuality. I can't believe she is two. She will continue to teach me so many things and will continue to cause my hair to turn grey. And although I do cheer those nights she begins the night in her own bed, I love when she migrates down the hall and I can spend the rest of the night snuggling with my daughter.
| Not a huge cake fan, Henni chose cookies for her birthday |
| I thought this illustrated the difference between Oliver and Henni pretty well |
| Thank you Caren and Travis! |
| A girl's best friend |

No comments:
Post a Comment