I love getting lost in a book. Getting so lost that reality and the story begin to blur and the characters become my new friends, their joys and pain become mine, and I am exhausted because, for hours on end I have said I would read - just one more page. Unfortunately, my life as of late has not been conducive to a good book. Instead my nights have been focused on looking for a new job, doing work for various contract projects, cleaning the house, pulling toys out of Charlie's mouth, and delving into reads like "How to talk so your kids will listen and listen so your kids will talk." At an interview last week I was asked what book is currently on my nightstand. Knowing that "How to Give a Moose a Muffin," "Good Night Gorilla," and "The Whale and the Snail" would not be appropriate answers (although they would have been the honest one), I panicked and wracked my brain for an adult book. While I have read many a book that would have been a good answer, the only book I could think of - the names of all other books ever written suddenly left my head - was "Raising your spirited child."
Life has been a bit challenging as of late as we try to juggle all of the balls while at the same time walking a tightrope. Friday night we decided it was time to take a break from everything and just spend a night and watch something on tv. We decided on Downton Abbey. My eyes have officially sunk to the back of my head, my circles have engulfed my head, everything I need to do is not being done -- and I feel as though I have lost myself in a book.
While getting lost in Downton Abbey is exhausting, it has reminded me of the need to take a breath, and to take time for imagination - for suspending reality. Between Downtown Abbey and my new routine of walking Charlie on the beach watching the sunrise, I think we can continue our Cirque de Soleil act for a little longer.



We just started Dowton Abbey too and are similarly hooked. Starting Season 2 now!
ReplyDeleteToo funny!! I just started Season 2 this past weekend. Wilson isn't interested but it's totally my guilty pleasure now - upstairs in my bed on my computer or downstairs on the big TV when he isn't home. Love it! Love the sunrise walks too - although probably wouldn't have liked it this morning.... brrrr.
ReplyDeleteSeason three is good, too :). I've been doing some pre-sunrise workouts too and totally agree that they help maintain some sanity -- and I am not a chipper morning person like you!
ReplyDelete