Sunday, November 1, 2009

Halloween Part I: The Great Pumpkin Rescue

Oliver calls pumpkins "Mama." I am not sure why, but he does. He will see a pumpkin, go up to it, hug it and say "Mama." He does this not only when I am with him but also when he is out with Jessica and with Davis. I've asked Davis if I have an orange hue or if I resemble a pumpkin - he has assured me that I am not round and orange.

The cold, snow and rain decided to skip town for Halloween - yesterday was a balmy 75 degrees! A perfect day for pumpkin carving. We set everything up and explained to Oliver what pumpkin carving was all about - he looked at us like we were crazy.

I then took my pumpkin and cut the top off so that Oliver could see inside -

Oliver was beyond upset. I think he was scared and was, perhaps, disgusted. Not wanting to scar him and make him forever scared of pumpkin carving we decided to try a new approach - having him sit with Davis and help him carve a pumpkin.

He was interested, until Davis put a knife to the pumpkin. Once that happened Oliver announced he was "All done," and grabbed his pumpkin.

He took "Mama" and put it the back of his truck and drove it across the backyard until the truck and "Mama" were well hidden behind the rhododendron (if you look closely you can just make out the yellow truck behind the bush).


Oliver then raced across the lawn and declared victory - he had successfully managed to save his pumpkin, "Mama," from being carved.

3 comments:

  1. What an adventure, Mama! My mother and I have thoroughly enjoyed this account of the great pumpkin rescue. Oliver continues to bring us all smiles! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last picture. Oliver looks like he is finally free of the pumpkin carving experience. :) So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny -- you guys have got to get him to like pumpkin carving since you both are masters.

    ReplyDelete