Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blast off!

Since we will be out of town on Oliver's actual birthday we decided to have an early birthday celebration yesterday. Over the past few weeks we've attended several birthday parties for Oliver's friends; Oliver was not only excited about yesterday being his "happy day" as he calls it, but he was also excited about being able to plan his own party. As it turns out Oliver was carefully checking out what was going on at the other fiestas and made it clear what parts of the other parties he wanted and what parts he did not. He was very clear that for his party he wanted no party hats, but that he did want balloons and he did want cake. He provided us with a detailed list of invitees and he specified that the food should include taquitos and hot dogs. As for napkins - he carefully chose these sunflower napkins.

Oliver happily sat and ate his birthday dinner surrounded by his friends. In fact, he was so good at dinner that Davis and I are considering having Maggie, Tommy, Carragh, Sam and Henry over every night.


A couple weeks ago I asked Oliver to start thinking about what he wanted for a birthday cake. At first he decided he wanted a bulldozer, then he thought a combine harvester might be a better choice, but in the end he decided a space shuttle cake was the way to go. Once he decided on the space shuttle cake he was very clear that that was what he wanted and he reminded me of the fact daily.

In the end I think we were all pleased and surprised with how the shuttle cake turned out.

Even though we had the pre-birthday celebration, I am having a difficult time getting my head around the fact that Oliver will be two on Friday. It really does seem like yesterday that I was pregnant with Oliver, wondering when he would decide it was time to enter the world. I can't believe that I have an almost two year old, one who clearly has his own personality and opinions.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - that cake is amazing Katie! Great job. Looks like Oliver had a fun pre-birthday celebration. Happy Birthday Oliver!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the juxtaposition of the sunflowers to the space shuttle cake (which does look great!). Happy early birthday to the big two year old!

    ReplyDelete