I, admittedly, do not know anything about pop-culture, do not know the correct words to any songs, sing out of tune, combine song lyrics ((I like to say mix) (Jump by Kriss Kross and Jump Around by House of Pain, tend to get a little muddled, for example), and am a horrid dancer. I also, admittedly, love to sing and dance - especially in the car and while cooking. Henni and Oliver are innocent bystanders and will, unfortunately be scarred for life.
Henni, perhaps because of her accepting and supportive personality, will car dance with me at the drop of a hat. Oliver on the other hand- he carefully chooses his song(s) - his current "I will only car dance to this song" is "Ice Ice Baby" (oh yea, I have an awesome mix).
Our last trip to Maine went wonderfully. Out car ride home was fantastic. And then...30 minutes from home (2 hours into the trip) we hit a dead stop. The five of us (Charlie being the fifth) are NOT car trip people/animals. We have mad flying skills, but car trips...I give each and every one of us an F. One look at my favorite new car app (Waze) and it was clear that prolonged was not quite the word to describe the rest of our way home. Part of me wanted to pop in Dive Olly Dive for the billionth time, but another part of me knew that I would have to locate any and all emergency exits my Honda Pilot may or may not have. I therefore took a deep breath and embraced the opportunity - the five of us trapped in the car, on a hot highway, at dinnertime...
The next hour and forty minutes turned out to be fun and hysterical. We played our rainbow car game, we played charades (Henni is an incredible "Big girl wolf" and Oliver stumped us by being a "fire breathing dragon with scales that, when touched, make him invisible, and features that include flying infinity high, being the fastest swimmer ever, and being able to run faster than a cheetah" (Not sure how we didn't get that.)), and we did a contest to see who could scream the loudest (I killed that one). Then we broke out the disco ball. Oh yea- we downloaded a disco ball app to the iPad, held it up high and proud out the sunroof, turned up the volume, rolled down all the windows, and partied like it was 1994 (Davis says I keep getting that phrase wrong, but it feels so right). By the time we rolled down our street I was ready to click buy on the chrome disco rims (a hard to find item for a Pilot), upgrade my running lights, and have a real disco ball installed in the car. Davis - well, I think he was ready to enroll me in some lyrics subscription club.
While an hours and 40 minutes of traffic was horrid, as our friend Vanilla Ice says - taking time to "stop, collaborate and listen" is invaluable. And having a mom that "rocks the mic like a vandal" - that is just plain priceless.

No comments:
Post a Comment