I must admit the idea of becoming a soccer mom was not appealing. Not only is there that image of the haggard mother driving the mini van, but there is the whole practice and game schedule that doesn't fit very neatly into our typical schedule. The first practice - I was happy to ave the excuse of Lucy's birthday party so that I didn't have to go and fall off the precipice into soccer mom land.
Then, last weekend, was the first game - the Eagles vs. the Hawks after just one 45 minute practice. From first kick I was hooked - I didn't fall off the precipice, I jumped. Yes the game was hectic, silly at times, and often looked like a tumbleweed going up and down the field - but it was damn exciting. The head coach is just plain amazing. He and Oliver have really hit it off and Oliver thrives on the coach's praise. Oliver, or "wheels," as his coach has taken to calling him - is super fast out there and is driven. And he is fueled up. The kid loves the water breaks and downs upwards of 40 ounces per hour game.
Today the future Beckham played the Rockets and scored 6 goals - all in the correct goal! I tell you, I am hooked and will drive that kid to games and practices - albeit in my Pilot.
Henni takes being a spectator very seriously. She likes to have a beverage in hand throughout the game and a food item of some sort in the other hand. This morning Oliver and Henni polished of 25 pancakes and 6 pieces of bacon. 2 hours later, at the game, Henni consumed pretzels, goldfish, and an obscene amount of applesauce.
And worries that soccer would cut into our adventuring have gone away. Despite the mid-day games, we have still managed to get out and enjoy the end of summer.


No comments:
Post a Comment