Thursday, November 21, 2013

Three

Last Friday Henni turned three.  How this happened - I have no idea.  Wasn't it just yesterday that Davis and I were driving back and forth to Beverly Hospital while Henni was trying to make up her mind when she wanted to make her debut?  All the while me in tears because I felt so horrible that Oliver was no longer going to be the only child - and we hadn't given him any say over the decision?

Henni's decision on when to make her debut ended up being smack dab on her due date.  That decision - that stake in the ground - is very defining in terms of her character.  Henni is stubborn, she is strong willed, she knows every rule - and holds everyone accountable.  She also is known for muttering -"Oh no, we are going to be so late!" whenever we are trying to make our way out the door.

And three years on, Henni and Oliver are best of friends.  Yes, they do have their moments (ones where I am surprised one or both is still alive once the dust has settled), but overall the two of them love each other to pieces.  And Henni - she cares for Oliver - completely.  She picks out clothes for him, will do errands for him, asks to buy him presents... she is extremely thoughtful.

Her thoughtfulness is largely due, I believe, to motherly instincts which seemed to have skipped me and gone - double - to her.  Henni feeds and dresses her babies in the morning, cares for them and takes the for walks during the day, and refused to go to bed until her babies have been put in their jammies, read to, and eaten.  The other day it was cold out - she refused to leave the house until her babies put on jackets and sweaters.  Being such a good mom must be exhausting!

I've often commented on Henni's sense of style.  The other day we were in a vintage clothing store and Henni - she was in ecstasy.  She wanted to buy everything there - despite the fact the clothes were for adults and not three year olds.  And several women commented on Henni's sense of style and projected that she would become a fashion icon one day.  To say that Henni was beaming is an understatement.

Now my little fashion icon is in an interesting phase right now.  She is wearing dresses, sweaters, tights, and button down shirts to bed.  And for school and daytime fun - she is choosing to wear jammies - accessorized with purses, rings, headbands, and necklaces - and the occasional skirt over the jammies.  I asked her what is up with this.  She replied - "I need to be be comfortable - and look good."  Of course.

Henni is not amenable to bribes and is not gift-hungry (like others I know (Oliver)).  When I asked her what she wanted for her birthday she replied - "Nothing.  I have everything."  The joy of those words - and how much they speak to her personality!  But since we were not going to let her birthday go by present-less, Davis built her a dollhouse.





Henni had a very specific request for her birthday celebration - she wanted to go to dinner at the place in town that has a kid's room - that is, a room where kids get to go and play and eat while the parents are in the main dining room eating.  Her birthday wish was to go there with her good friend Lucy, Oliver, and Lucy's brother Max.  At first I was a little hurt that she didn't want to have her birthday dinner with me, but then I did have to applaud the brilliance of her plan.  So yes, she got to have the birthday celebration she wanted - and Davis and I got to go out and have an adult dinner with Lucy and Max's parents (and with baby Owen), with whom we are friends.  It was perfection.




We then had a second party for Henni with our friends Carragh and Maeve.  Pizza, a movie, and chaos.  Also perfection.





Happy birthday Henni!










3 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday Henni! That dollhouse is amazing (though I would expect nothing less from Davis)! And what is this restaurant that you speak of where you can eat apart from your kids? Amazing and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday Henni! Sounds like a perfect celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Henni! What a magical three year old!

    ReplyDelete