Friday, March 14, 2014

Awesome Opossum

A couple weeks ago Oliver competed in his second ski race.  To say he did awesome is an understatement.  I realize I am biased because I am his mom, but I was blown away by what an amazing job he did and the significant improvement over last year.

Last year the race was dominated by adults.  There were a handful of kids who were under 21 and the conditions were prime.  This year there were only a handful of people over 21 and the upper (headwall) part of the course was sheer ice.  People were blowing out of the course left and right and I spent the time leading up to the race talking to Oliver about how the point of a race is fun - no matter if you finish or not.

Oliver, in true Oliverness, not only remained standing throughout the whole course, his runs were incredible.  While every course is different, a course set on the same slope is going to have times that are pretty close.  Given this, while we can't directly compare Oliver's time last year to this year's time, we can make a loose comparison.  Looking at his combined time (two runs/race), he shaved close to 9 minutes off his time.  And rather than be the little guy everyone was impressed with just for being on the course, he was the guy that put a competitive - even outside his age group - time on the board.




Unfortunately Oliver doesn't realize what an incredible job he did.  He placed second - the same as last year.  The difference being that this year, rather than there being two kids in his age category, there were quite a few - meaning not everyone placed. We've been trying to explain this to Oliver, but he is just mad he got the same color ribbon - and he wishes he got the orange one (third) because he likes that color better.


Henni showed off her amazing skiing skills for us this past weekend.  I do believe that we have now turned that corner - the one that enables us to ski together and without harnesses and the like.  Next year she plans to race - and I am sure she will.


We've been lucky to be able to spend time with friends lately.



And with cousin Quinn.  Both Oliver and Henni are super psyched to have Quinn close.  I am so happy that the kids have a cousin .10 miles away - family is nice to have close by.





Last weekend was the second annual box race.  We designed and built an albatross (royal we, it was all Davis).  This year there were close to 100 boxes and tons of spectators.  Fantastically fun and looking forward to next year - box already planned - watch out!










 Daylight savings time...making my beach mornings rather dark - but beautiful.




No comments:

Post a Comment