Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The rabbit hole

I am convinced Alice's rabbit hole lies somewhere between Newburyport and Camden.  Somehow time spent in Camden is not only magical, but it is also time that is somehow suspended.

School vacation week the kids and I headed to Maine.  To be honest the week had me questioning being a working mom.  Prior to leaving home I set expectations high - be a fun mom and give the kids a fantastic vacation, but not take any time off doing so.

Just hours in - I questioned my sanity (generally and more specifically my vacation week strategy).  While I managed to bring ski stuff for the kids, I forgot their bags - their bags with all their clothes.  

I dressed the kids in my clothes for bed and in the morning we headed for Reny's.  In fact, I was the person who had my children in the cart and lifted them up to have every piece of clothing on their bodies scanned.  And yes, Henni was wearing sparkle jeans and too much Carharrt to count, and Oliver was at risk of being lost in a forest (he chose all Real Tree gear).

Shortly thereafter we headed to the mountain and were treated with ice coated trees, sun, and endless views across the ocean.  While there may be mountains that are bigger, I doubt there is a mountain that is as beautiful as the Snow Bowl.


Oliver and Henni took lessons for the week and improved greatly.  Oliver is all over the mountain and has mastered the hockey stop.  And Henni not only charmed the ski instructors, but also took her first run from top to bottom - by herself (no harness and not between someone's legs).



Unfortunately I was late to the sign-up game (reoccurring theme) and so coordination with the Stockwells didn't happen.  However, Oliver and Ethan did manage a few runs together.  I loved watching the two of them take on the mountain - each with a different approach, but each with incredible zeal and a love for skiing.  I know Oliver is hopeful to get more runs with Ethan  - and have the two of them do the chairlift together (they are ready, I am not).

Alice's rabbit hole also lead us to a night with Jon.  Always a highlight - magical, amazing Jon.




One of the best things of the week - time with Oliver.  With school, play dates, work, and life, I seldom have time just with Oliver.  Thanks to mom and dad Oliver and I had lots of time together. Most mornings Oliver and I spent a couple hours skiing just the two of us.  It was time that was incredibly special to me - and time that I can not thank my parents enough for giving me.



Oliver's favorite activity during our time together was glade skiing.  Turns out her's pretty good at it too.



During the school week the kids get up around 8.  However, when in the rabbit hole, wake up time is closer to 6.  Rather than curse it, we embraced it.  We watched all the Ice Age movies - and more.  (I do get amazing bed head.)

This kids always spent time with Papa and Lele.  A favorite place - the Children's Museum.


Another special place - the CMCA Art Lab.


Somehow amidst all the fun I managed to work and be productive.  While a big part of it is that crazy rabbit hole, I know that even more of it is my parents.  I am so lucky to have them as parents and that they are such a huge part of our lives.  How I would have managed to get through the week (or through life) without them, I do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment