Hello six!
Imagine climbing a mountain. Imagine that mountain has no peak - that somehow every step taken generates another foot of elevation (and that each new foot generated is typically steeper than the last). Imagine that the mountain experiences some beautiful clear days, but mostly it is subjected to constant storms, and that there is no good place on the mountain to ride out the storm. For the most part, this is how five felt - not only to me, but also to Oliver.
Over the past year or so, being a parent to Oliver and being Oliver has been tough. I remember being so completely exhausted when Oliver was a newborn (and never slept more than 45 minutes for the first 8 months of his life) and thinking - I need to call a time out so I can survive. This year; however, I distinctly remember thinking - I can't do this...at all, then panicking as I knew that I have to do this, for the rest of my life. My tears at this point were a combination of frustration and failure.
Amongst this feeling of failure, defeat, and challenge there was also fear. Fear of our future and also fear of reality. At one point Oliver could not walk for four days. This was terrifying on so many levels. Not only was it a struggle to figure out why, but there was also the fear of what if this is our life going forward.
Unable to accept our life as is, and unable to believe that our challenges were "normal" I researched, read, and fought. The result is that the last couple months of five has brought with it the Oliver that I used to know, long before five started. We discovered that Oliver has a gluten sensitivity and that his body treats strep as an autoimmune disease.
I have a new found respect for parents who have children with disabilities and for parents with children with chronic diseases.
While Oliver and Henni have always played well together and had fun together, the last couple months have been so wonderful. As Oliver has begun to feel better, their relationship has become so much deeper. The two of them are truly best friends and they spend hours together creating imaginary adventures and scenarios. They crack each other up, they plot revolts together, and they just plain have fun together.
Watching this interaction has made me both sad and happy. The sadness comes because Oliver has felt so horrible that he was unable to have this type of interaction with friends and family. This created challenges and made it so friendships were hard to establish. I am so sad that he missed out on this, yet am happy to know that friendships will be a thing of the future.
Oliver's favorite thing about being five - his teacher Linda. I love that this is what he said was his favorite thing. She has been a rock for Oliver (and for us) over the past two years. I don't think we could have made it through this past year without her. That he recognizes this, says a lot about who Oliver is.
Oliver values true friendships and family. Each year for his birthday he asks to get together with the Pennington's. This year was no exception. Maggie and Tommy (now in high school and middle school) dragged out their bikes and biked with him - his birthday wish. Their friendship is a true touch point for Oliver.
Oliver loves science and snakes. He is a walking encyclopedia. He is a GPS (and a damn good one). He is most definitely smarter than me. He is an incredible biker, runner, skier, and swimmer. He loves to kayak, and loves mud.
He amazes me. He says he wants to do something and he more than does he - he excels at it. For example, deciding he wants to try a mountain bike race - and winning it...by a lot.
He hates to eat and desperately wants to be a snake so he doesn't have to eat very often.
He loves to build. He asks a million questions - every minute - and wants to know the real answer.
Hi favorite TV show is the British version of Top Gear. Wild Kratts is a close second. He's not a huge fan of kids movies, but will watch a documentary at the drop of a hat.
I love Oliver to death. Five has been a struggle for us. I am so looking forward to six. With six we have the opportunity for Oliver to be Oliver - for Oliver to be who he really is. I am excited for him to experience this, and to get to know my little boy again.
There are challenges ahead. I know things won't be smooth. But we have some answers and we are no longer alone on our journey - in addition to the support of friends and family, we have an incredible team of doctors.
Happy birthday sweet Oliver. I am so sorry it took so long for us to get to where we are today, but am so excited for you to be six and to experience a healthier and less challenging life than you did with five.
For the books - Oliver was 44.5 inches and 51 pounds at his six year appointment.








No doubt a year of ups and downs. Here's to six! Best wishes.
ReplyDelete