With each new phase, with each new accomplishment, I pause on the reality that our lives are ever moving forward. I pause. I move on. Too often, perhaps, the pauses are too small. And then, sometimes, the new phase, the new reality of where we are, hits me straight on and knocks me to the ground. First grade hit me like Oscar De La Hoya.
For the last three years we've been at the same school. We've walked or written bikes every day. We've stopped and visited the dinosaurs hidden in the flowers on Titcomb Street, and we've raced around the loop in front of city hall. I've known the teachers, I've known all of the students in the class, and have known all the parents. Kindergarten was 8 kids, 2 teachers, and a lot of outside time.
First grade is in a new school. A brand spanking new school - that is not quite finished being built. 720 kids grades pre-K through 3. Eight first grades. Communication between the school and parents is horrendous. I have no idea who is in Oliver's class, and no idea who the other parents are. I have no idea the schedule of their day. Between 7:45 and 3 I have no idea what Oliver does.
I had no idea how hard this would hit me. First grade knocked me straight to the ground - KTFO'D.
Thankfully Henni still goes to Montessori. She's in Oliver's old room. I have been happily biking with Henni (and Bulldozer) to school. Stopping to say hi to the dinos, and relishing every moment - and basking in the reality that Henni still has a couple more years within Montessori's cocoon.
And thankfully our neighborhood has so many kids that we pretty much full the bus. At our stop alone 12 kids get on the bus. The other three stops on the route, are just a couple blocks away and we know everyone who gets on at the stops - knowing the bus load of kids does it make it easier to give Oliver a hug and say good-bye at the curb.
![]() |
| Orientation day |
![]() |
| First day of school |
![]() |
| First day of school |
| Happy to find Olivia's locker is next to his |
![]() |
| Henni and Bulldozer |









No comments:
Post a Comment