Oliver managed to sleep through the entire parade - waking up just in time for lunch. His grandmother tried to keep him busy while I ate.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Fire truck lullaby
Sunday was the Yankee Homecoming parade here in Newburyport. Last Monday people starting staking their claim on the prime parade watching spots by sticking lawn chairs on the side of the road. Last year we were away for the parade, so this was our first time being in Newburyport for the big event. Even though we hadn't laid claim to a spot earlier in the week, we did manage to find a nice shady place to watch.
The parade began with a procession of firetrucks. Oliver had just gone to sleep when the procession began - Newburyport, West Newbury, Newbury... the trucks were ridiculously loud- all the fire people enjoying blasting the horns for all the kids. We were convinced Oliver would wake up screaming, terrified of the noise. Nope, he slept, blissfully unaware, or maybe aware but not caring, of the racket going on. The procession continued - Topsfield, Middleton, Rowley... Although Oliver continued to sleep I felt like a bad parent submitting my newborn to the noise so I took him back inside for a few minutes. Good thing there were no fires, or cats in trees yesterday - I'm told that after I left the procession included trucks from most all town on the North Shore, trucks from southern Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut, and from Somerville and Waltham.
Oliver managed to sleep through the entire parade - waking up just in time for lunch. His grandmother tried to keep him busy while I ate.
Other activities for Oliver this weekend included Banana rides - both Oliver and Anna seemed to enjoy them (or at least tolerated them).

Oliver managed to sleep through the entire parade - waking up just in time for lunch. His grandmother tried to keep him busy while I ate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Anna rides? Oh no...
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure who is the cooler guy in the first picture. I think I can pick out who has cuter cheeks.
I guess Oliver doesn't suffer from the same fear of loud noises that I do.... Davis can take he and Hannah to the parade next year!
ReplyDelete