Thursday, February 11, 2010

The Miracle That Was

On the night of February 3, 2010 the most amazing thing happened...Oliver slept through the night! It took exactly 19 months for the little guy to decide that maybe a full night of sleep (rather than 2 hour stretches) was a good idea. Davis and I were so caught off guard the morning of the 4th - not only did we completely oversleep (we slept until 8:15!) but we also felt fantastic all day despite there being no coffee in the house. Our little family had three nights of heaven, but I guess old habits are hard to break - the little monster is back to his old routine.

Although I would love a full night of sleep, it is hard to get upset with Oliver, because he provides me with a full day of laughter, imagination, and smiles (ok, frustration too).

Aunt Elizabeth's dog Pippa has been staying with us for the past couple of weeks, and we have been having a constant battle with the water bowl. Pippa, of course, needs to have the water bowl on the ground, whereas Davis and I need to have the water bowl up high so that Oliver can't dump it over. The other day I was loading the dishwasher and heard a splash. I turned around to find that Oliver had pushed his stool over to the island and had put a seal in Pippa's water bowl. I watched as Oliver then got down off the stool and went and got a lobster and added it to the bowl. And then watched him get, one by one, several more sea creatures. In all I think about six ended up in the bowl. It must have gotten rowdy in the "hot tub" because as soon as I went back to loading the dishwasher I heard a big splash as the bowl and all the sea creatures hit the floor.

3 comments:

  1. So exciting! And if he's done it once you know he'll do it again! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Kate said -- it's nice to know it's possible and maybe he'll realize it's nice too! Cute smiles with the water bowl struggles -- totally get that one.

    ReplyDelete