Over the last several years the holidays have lost much of their sparkle. Finding the perfect tree has become much more about compromise and finding a tree that actually fits, rather than finding the biggest and craziest Christmas ever. And a white Christmas has become more about shoveling and wondering if our travel plans will still work given the forecast rather than be super excited because Santa will be delivering presents in the snow. Speaking of presents - Davis and I decided when we got married to forgo presents to each other at holidays and birthdays and instead focus on doing fun things throughout the year. While this arrangement takes much of the commercialization out of the holidays, it also takes away an element of excitement (not that I want to re-institute gift-giving - our arrangement, much to the horror of some, works very well for us). Another thing about the holidays - they are in the fall and winter - times of the year that tend to be chilly if not downright cold. I am not a big fan of cold and much prefer the balmy days of summer. All of this being said, on Sunday afternoon the "A" got put back into anticipation and the "e" back into excitement and I am so looking forward to the holidays this year.
On Sunday I was looking at our town's upcoming events and saw that at the end of November Santa and Mrs. Claus will be arriving in town, via boat, to light the town's Christmas tree. Unlike the past two years Oliver will be able to understand a bit about what is going on and I think he will be beyond excited to witness their arrival. And since Oliver is now much more in tune with what is going on, this year Davis and I have decided it is time for our family to start our own traditions. We both have wonderful memories of Christmas with our families and we both want Oliver to look back at his childhood with the same joy. I can't wait to go and have Oliver choose the Christmas tree, decorate the tree, read holiday books, make and decorate cookies... I recognize that this year most of these activities will be accompanied by a vacuum, mop, numerous loads of laundry, and a constant fear that Oliver will try and scale the Christmas tree, but I am not worried - it will all be part of the fun and memories. (The only thing I am worried about and need to start thinking about is - where to hang the stocking. We don't have a fireplace and I don't think I can add a fireplace to our house, and don't think we'll be moving anytime soon.)
Oliver has become a very imaginative child. At the playground he usually finds sticks and mulch and pretends they are tools - he picks up each "tool" and tells me what it is - a hammer, a nail set, a screwdriver - and then spends his time at the playground "fixing" everything. He confuses many children by telling them, for example, that the slide is broken and he needs to fix it before they play on it. I feel like his imagination, his love for books, and that he is at an age where he is absorbing everything will really help to make this holiday season, and the holidays to come, sparkle.

No comments:
Post a Comment