Sunday, August 22, 2010

Holy Smokes!

The last few days have brought with them many many surprises and I have found myself saying holy smokes quite a bit.

Surprise #1: Oliver is afraid of something. Oliver shows no fear - ever (okay, he gets frightened when farm animals make loud noises, but that is it). He will dive, head first, into huge waves, and come out laughing. He'll crash his bike, fall to the ground, and laugh. He'll walk up to dogs four times his size and give them a big kiss... So what did I discover scares my little guy? On Friday we were at the playground and Oliver climbed to the very tip top of the climbing structure. He walked over to the top of a super tall ladder and smiled. I told him it was too high - he just smiled. He then took two steps and balanced himself on the top two rungs of the ladder. At this point I am worried because I realize that I can't even reach his feet to rescue him - he is too high. He then flashes another smile and yells "Jump!" and launches himself into the air. My heart in my throat I race to grab him. I caught him and immediately he burst into tears. He had finally scared himself. Not that I am glad he got scared, but to be honest, I am happy to learn that he does possess a bit of fear.

Surprise #2: Oliver is catching on to the spelling game. It turns out that there are now some things we can no longer spell. For example, milk. If Davis and I spell milk, Oliver will say milk, or go and get it from the refrigerator. Bottle is another example. Pop (as in lollipop) is another example. Seriously, this kid amazes me sometimes - he doesn't let Davis or me get away with anything.

Surprise #3: Not every day is sunny. We've been living the good life this summer - sunny day after sunny day after sunny day. Yesterday we spent the day, as usual, at the beach. We made sandcastles, turned logs into boats, swam, counted snails, and raced trucks all over the sand. Today we woke up to clouds. Given it wasn't beach weather we decided we'd go for a hike. We got in the car and it started raining. We decided to ignore it - and thus went our day. We spent our rainy day in denial. We went for our hike and then, after Oliver's nap, rode our bikes for ice cream.




Surprise #4: We are in the third trimester. It is funny. When I was pregnant with Oliver I could have told you how far along I was at any moment - the weeks, the days, maybe even the hour. Every week I read how big Oliver was - grape, orange, grapefruit... and often read ahead, excited to learn what was happening next. This pregnancy is completely different - this pregnancy I tend to forget I am pregnant (it's not that I'm excited about the baby, it's just there isn't much time to think about being pregnant). I tend to ask Davis questions like: "Why am I so hungry?," or "Why do I keep throwing up?," or "Urgh, why do these pants not fit anymore?" Each time Davis responds - "I think it is probably because you are pregnant." Right, I keep forgetting. Anyway, over the past couple of weeks I've been asked, many times, how far along I am. I've thrown out answers ranging from 24 to 29 weeks - all guesses. A couple days ago I decided it might be interesting to find out how far a I really am. As it turns out I am now 28, almost 29 weeks - in the third trimester. Time flies when your not paying attention!

1 comment: