Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Spoiled

Our last 24 hours or so in England and our flight back to the US were luxurious; to say that we were spoiled would be an understatement.

September 28th was a big day. Davis swam the English Channel, it was my birthday, Davis' company's stock jumped 7% (because of Davis?), and I suddenly became pregnant. Okay, I didn't become pregnant on the 28th, but the baby dropped/moved (or something) and I went from being able to forget I was pregnant to feeling incredibly pregnant. I think that when the little one dropped/moved she managed hit a little switch labeled "hormones." Ah yes, I went from being a lucid person to a crazy pregnant woman in about 2.5 seconds. While I have tried talking to the little one and asking if she wouldn't mind flipping the hormone switch to off, she has yet to do so.

All of that being said - we left our wonderful house in Deal on the morning of the 1st and drove to Heathrow to drop off Le Le and the rental car and then we headed into London. When we got into London it was pouring and so rather than schlep the bags, car seat, stroller, etc. we got a cab to the hotel. The traffic was horrible and so it took forever to get to the hotel. We got to the hotel and when we walked into our room I started crying. We'd gotten the room as part of a British Airways package, and I honestly have no idea if a British Airways person has seen the hotel - they really should make a visit. The room was filthy and the bed was unmade. I called the front desk and they a) couldn't understand the problem (umm, someone slept in the bed and so the sheets are dirty and the room is really gross) and b) weren't sure they would be able to get someone to come and take a look at it because the hotel was fully booked and so they were busy (right). We left our bags in the hopes that things would be better when we returned from lunch. Davis and Oliver stayed safe distance from me at lunch as I sat there, soaking wet after the couple block walk in the rain, and bawling about the hotel. Oliver kept saying "feel better" and Davis kept saying we could change hotel rooms. Finally I listened to my boys, stopped crying and went and found an Internet cafe and booked us a new room. Back to the disgusting hotel to pick up the bags, another cab ride across town (even worse traffic) and then we were in the lobby of the Park Grand Hotel. I have to admit I was a bit awestruck and embarrassed for a minute. The hotel, a swanky little boutique hotel near Hyde Park, was beyond nice. The three of us, dirty and wet, definitely stood out (I think all of our belongings that we had with us cost about as much as the handbag of the other guest in the lobby) (go Priceline!).

Up in our room Davis pulled out his self-described fancy clothes and Oliver checked out the hidden "wardrobes." And crazy mommy, although a bit embarrassed, breathed a sigh of relief because I could actually imagine touching a surface in the hotel room without contracting some sort of something we'd have to call the CDC about.

After cleaning ourselves up a bit we visited the aquarium where Oliver was very happy to see Nemo and Dory and their friends.

He was not as excited, however, about Big Ben.


The next day we visited the Natural History Museum. Oliver roared at all the dinos, and tried to give them - and other very large animals with huge teeth - high fives. Honestly, this child has no fear.
In the afternoon we headed to the airport, dreading our close to 7 hour flight. The thought of sitting in row 42, feet away from the bathroom, inches away from the seat in front of us, and hours of keeping Oliver entertained in such a small area was not super enticing. When we went to check in we got a wonderfully amazing super fantastic surprise - we'd been upgraded! Our new Club World status enabled us to partake in the joys of the Club Lounge in Heathrow. There was a kids playroom, an open bar for Davis (much needed as I was being a bit crazy), and lots of snacks and drinks for me. While the Lounge was fun, we were even more awestruck when we got on the plane. Our seats were incredible! They laid flat, we had tons of space, we had people asking what type of champagne we wanted, what vintage wine and scotch we wanted, and what type of juice box for Oliver. We also were given menus from which we chose a four course meal. Did I say the experience was incredible?

Oliver had lots of room to play and to sleep. Davis and I got to relax, watch movies... the time on the plane seemed more like minutes than hours.
(Note Oliver's prawn salad - it was the course before his fillet - (really?!))

(In case you were wondering, it is possible to eat ice cream with a back hoe.)

Between the hotel and flight we were beyond spoiled. Personally, I think it was a perfect way to cap off such an amazing accomplishment (Davis' swim across the Channel).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the clarification at the end as to which amazing accomplishment you were talking about - I was confused up until then. :) Glad you guys were so spoiled - you deserved it!

    ReplyDelete