Monday, February 7, 2011

Laugh in

Oliver's language skills have really taken off. Not only is he now talking nonstop but he is also making long and rather complex sentences - the other day he said something and I was so shocked that I stopped and counted - 12 words! Much of what he says is hysterical; this kid is a jokester. Some recent examples-

When we landed in Boston after our trip to Florida I turned to Oliver and told him that he did really good job on the flight and that I was proud of him. He looked and me and got very serious and said, "Mommy you did a really good job too." Thanks buddy.

Last night he looked at Henni, who was quietly playing, and said, "That is a rocket powered baby." I asked for an explanation and he said, "Mommy, that's just how it is." I see. Good to know (perhaps that explains why the majority of the time that she poops she has to get a new outfit and sometimes a bath as well).

The other day Oliver farted and I asked him what he was supposed to say. He looked at me and said, "Somebody farted." Trying not to laugh I said that that wasn't correct and to try again. He looked at me and said, "Mommy farted." After several more tries I did manage to get him to say excuse me, but the lesson didn't sink in - he has been blaming other people and/or me for weeks now.

Seriously this kid cracks me up. And I have to say I am so glad that he has a sense of humor. The massive amount of snow, the cold, new baby, crazy schedules of late...if he didn't have a sense of humor it would have been tough getting past the last few weeks - last week especially.

Last week I had my first week of my yoga teaching training. I had put together 4 days of childcare, gotten us all organized, Davis had gotten us all dug out and then - two huge snow storms which brought two feet or more of snow, training rescheduled, more digging out to do, childcare provider sick, smoke alarms going off at our house for no apparent reason, rain... Thanks to Davis, Oliver, Henni and Jess - all of whom were amazingly flexible and full of humor - we managed to get through the week with smiles and fun (although Davis didn't get to spend much time at work).

Oliver went sledding
Oliver and Mark spent time sledding

Henni and I went sledding

Henni spent time smiling

Oliver and Davis put on head lamps and road bikes in the trails in our yard

They also built an even bigger and better snow fort

And donned their snow/rain clothes and played outside in the pouring rain - forever

Back inside we played quite a bit of dino bowling (Oliver's idea which I think is quite inventive)

Played on the mat
And tried to keep Henni from harm

Although we have been having fun in the snow, as Oliver said yesterday, "I think it is time for all this snow to melt. I am ready for sand."

1 comment:

  1. I think Oliver may be onto something with that sand comment. Two year olds do say the funniest things. Whenever I ask Adam a question that starts with "why" he answers "because that's why". Apparently these two know all the secrets of the universe. :)

    ReplyDelete