There is joy and then there is JOY. JOY is what Oliver, Henni, Hollie and I experienced yesterday.
While at the Museum of Science we spotted some pretty fantastic looking kites. After purchasing said kites we decided to cut short our day at the museum and head to the beach. Oliver's kite was the first up in the air and, once flying, Oliver named it "Flap." Oliver was a champion kite flier. It must have been the combination of his smile and determination, but he flew the Flap for more than an hour - Flap's return to ground-level occurred only because we had to go home.
Henni was so excited to learn that the big plastic container she had been lugging happily around actually contained a kite for her to fly. She held on to her kite so tightly and alternated between smiling and concentrating.
Both Oliver and Henni seemed mesmerized by the kites - astounded by how they could fly and that they were the ones making it so.
Both Hollie and I left the beach utterly content and joyful. The two of us felt so lucky to be able to share in the happiness and joy Henni and Oliver experienced flying their kites. And, to be honest, I am not sure when the last time I ran down the beach trying to get a kite off the ground and then *poof* - getting the kite to soar -- I love that my children are helping me to experience life.
And you really captured how incredibly blue the sky has been the last five days. I'm so sad it's ending tomorrow.... come back soon summer!
ReplyDelete