Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Miss Opinionated

Henni is a toddler, there are no two ways around it.  Henni is no longer a baby and she will screech at the top of her lungs and let you know that she too has opinions.  And when I say screech I mean screech (she does the bit where she gets quiet, turns blue, we all have time to cover our ears and brace, then - *bam* - one of the loudest noises ever heard).  Henni has said many many many words; however, most words she has said just one time.  When asked, "Henni, can you say 'cup'?", she responds "Yes" even though I know full well she can say that word.  The only words she consistently uses (with the except of animal sounds which she throws around willy nilly) are mama, dada, Oliver, Charlie, banana, and chicken.  Given the few words she concedes to use on a daily basis one can hear her ear piercing screech many times throughout the day as she tries to make sure we know what it is that she wants.

So what does she want?  Well, she is following in her brother's footsteps and insists on picking out her own clothes.  She likes pink and ruffles and dresses.  She agonizes over her drawer and closet each morning (and several times throughout the day as many days are 4 outfit days) chooses her outfit.  God help anyone who might try and suggest an outfit or try to sneak on anything that is not pink.  She is getting pretty good at getting her own clothes on.  She manages to get on her own pants, hat (again spending an agonizing amount of time selecting the right one), and her own mittens.


Henni also loves bags.  She carries one around with her at all times.  She also  likes to try and upgrade her bag.  I have to watch her at the playground, for example, as she will walk around, look at all the bags and then select a super nice designer bag and grab it, leaving one of her bags in it's place as a trade.  Seriously, this girl always chooses the most expensive bag "available."

Broccoli.  Henni is head over heels about broccoli.  There are days when she eats it morning, noon, and night.  The other day at the store I was pushing the cart and had to grab Henni as she attempted to lunge out of it -- trying to grab a head of broccoli as we went by (silly mommy, how could you even consider going by broccoli).  The other couple of items she tends to put back are cucumbers and bananas.  She will, in minutes, consume an entire cucumber and bananas - she ate 4 today (it would have been 5, but Charlie managed to snag the 5th).


Speaking of Charlie, Henni and Charlie are two little trouble makers.  The first word out of Henni's mouth ever morning is "Charlie."  She follows him around, throws balls for him, gives him treats, feeds him a ridiculous amount of food he should not  have despite my best efforts, and generally adores him - that is, when she doesn't.  Charlie loves Henni to pieces and gets so excited when they really get playing that sometimes his little puppy teeth get in the way.  Henni let's us know (and those a few towns over as well) when this happens (or when she things it might happen - I've noticed her screams are usually more preemptive then occurring after or even during the fact).  Given this I try to keep the two small ones separate when my eyes can't always be on both of them.  But this works only momentarily as Henni tends to open the gate the for Charlie or herself so that rather then be separated, they are cordoned off together.






There is so much laughter, love and mischief in Henni that I could go on and on.  But rather than do that, I will share just one more story.

The other morning I was at the gym and got a message from Davis suggesting I come home as the house was freezing and the kids and Charlie were crazy.  Once home I tried to calm the monsters so Davis could look at the furnace.  He was unable to determine why we had no heat so I called the plumber.  The plumber came and looked and looked and then mentioned he couldn't figure out why the furnace was getting no power.  I asked if anyone had checked the emergency switch in the kitchen.  No one had and...it was off.  I flipped it on and we had heat again.  How did that crazy switch get shut off?  Later in the day I was standing by the back door holding Henni and waiting for Oliver to get his shoes on, I hear a sneaky cackle and I look - Henni had just shut off the furnace again.  She did her trick again with Hollie.  We went to Home Depot and bought a cover for the switch.












1 comment:

  1. Too funny - Adam turned our furnace switch off a few weeks ago too. Those second kids!

    ReplyDelete