Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hoot

Our current sleeping arrangement is unique.  We have, I would argue, made forward strides as we no longer have 4 persons migrating during the night - we now just have one migratory family member.  Our current arrangement - Henni and I in one bed, Davis in the guest room (with Charlie (in crate)), and Oliver in his room - well, in his room until he decides he no longer wants to be in there.  When Oliver gets up he makes his way in to bed with Henni and I or into bed with Davis.  Sometimes he gets in bed with me, gives me a kiss and then says, "sorry, mommy, I actually want to sleep with daddy," and then he leaves and heads off to find Davis.

This rather unique sleeping arrangement is due to the fact that it is impossible to fit 4 people in our bed. In an effort to bring the total number of people in the bed to 3 (one being Davis), I tried having a conversation with Oliver about what we could do to make him want to be in his room all night.  Oliver suggested we move the vacuum from the kitchen to the basement.  An odd request, but I complied.  It didn't work (strangely enough).  Oliver then suggested a trip to the toy store so he could get everything he wants.  I said nice try.  I then suggested a special clock - one which changes color when it is ok to get up (and one which I knew had been successful for many people).  Oliver thought a clock would be fun; he picked out one that looked like an owl.

The couple nights we say no change, but chalked it up to a rough start.  But then we were a week, two weeks...with no change.  I asked Oliver about it, and his response was: "Mommy, the clock doesn't work.  When I want to go to your room it just doesn't turn on."  I reminded him that he needed to wait until the clock turned on..."Mommy, that is just not a good idea.  That owl doesn't know the right time to snuggle."

Now the other morning I had to go into Oliver's room to grab my sneakers.  The room was dark - and empty save for the owl.  That owl scared the sH*&$%T out of me - his head glows green when it is ok to wake up and his glowing green head is frightening.  Honestly, after seeing the owl at work I would have understood if Oliver said he came in before the owl lit up just so he could avoid seeing the scary owl.  Davis got a look at the owl a few mornings ago - he too is petrified.  Scary owl is currently Craig's-listed.

Since the owl doesn't know the right snuggle time (and is down right horrifying), and our bed is too tight with 4, we are making things work.  And, as I said, the number of people migrating has decreased, Davis is now sleeping wonderfully...I believe we have made some strides.

This video cracks me up. It is Oliver whistling.  He tells everyone he knows how to whistle now and he makes this hysterical owl-sounding noise.


No comments:

Post a Comment