Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Street

I am not sure how we got so lucky.  Our little street is now home now home to 21 kids under the age of 14.  Add in the houses that are at the end of street and the total rises to 28.  The majority of our little gang are boys aged 7 and under.  

It seems as though the kids have some secret way of communicating.  As soon as one kids heads out to the street, the rest sense it and want to join in the fray.  While much of our street time is sent biking and running, a recent development has been that of street hockey.  Both Oliver and Henni have fallen in love with the game.  Oliver seems to be a natural and Henni - thankfully one of the older boys has been patiently teaching Henni the game.




Growing up in rural Maine I loved being able to be outside exploring the woods and running around a huge backyard.  Often times I get sad that Oliver and Henni are "city kids" and don't have a huge yard or the woods to run in.  But then I see their faces light up when the kids fill the street, when kids are climbing back and forth over fences, when toys are being shuffled from one house to another, when a mini Tour de France is occurring just outside, when chickens are just a yard away, when a new game like street hockey is introduced...and I don't feel so bad.  Yes, their experience is different than mine, but that doesn't make it bad - it just makes it different.

So, game on!  If the rain ever stops, we'll be back on the street with sticks, bikes, chalk, balls, and any other craziness we can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment