This past weekend Davis participated in the Boston Light Swim - an 8 mile swim in Boston Harbor. When he first did this swim Oliver was just a year old and his swimming was still something new and shiny. We spent the night in Boston, we brought presents and a cheering squad, and said cheering squad arrived at the finish long before Davis crossed the line. And after the swim...a celebratory lunch.
A Triple Crown and handful (or several) of swims later and an 8 mile swim is a mere dip in the water. Davis left the house at 3:30 in the morning to head into Boston for the start and the kids and I got to Southie not too far ahead of Davis' finish. The kids clapped and cheered when Davis finished, but not because of what he had accomplished, but because they were able to raid the snack table. Seriously, I think the kids love the swims because of the long tables filled with treats and the medals they get to play with following the swims.
Part of me feels we need to re-focus and recognize that 8 miles is a long way to swim in the chilly, choppy ocean. Another part of me loves that the kids have internalized Davis' swims as, well, a swim.


Congrats Davis! Unlike your family, I guess, I am quite impressed!
ReplyDelete