Every night for his with-dinner drink Oliver asks for a "special special drink with nothing in it that no one even knows about." Neither Davis nor I have any idea of the origins of the drink or really what the request means. What we do know is that the only person who can produce said drink is daddy. And the components of the drink - it can be anything ranging from water to milk to juice...there is no specific special special drink. Sometimes the drink is tricked out with umbrellas, garnish, or a straw, other times the drink is left unadorned. But it is made with love, by daddy.
In many ways I feel as though our summer has been like the special drink request -- the summer has been special and what has gone into it is love and who the heck knows what else. Some days were thrown together, other days involved elaborate plans and adventure. The outcome of each day - tired children, tired parents, all snuggled together.
And the the morning arrives - the first word out of Henni's mouth is always "Oliver." And the first words out of Oliver's mouth are always "Where is Henni?" Now this could be perceived in many ways, but I am going to take it that Oliver and Henni love each other to pieces. That once they realize the other is just on the other side of me - and that they scramble over me to play or awake the other - leads me to believe my assumption (plea) is true.
Oliver starts school next week. Our summer ends. Henni is going to miss her playmate and I am going to miss having Oliver here too. He is going 5 mornings a week and I am feeling as though that is too much. While so big in so many ways, he is also still so little. But I am excited for his new class and I know that he is looking forward to meeting new friends (although he says he is planning to only go to school for the fall and then retire come winter).
Some picture from our summer escapades.



No comments:
Post a Comment