Friday, August 3, 2012

New Heights

Ah my Rocket.  There are days where I am blown away by the conversations and fun we have and other days when I wonder how we will both a survive the seemingly 4 millionth time out. But I am told that that is 4 and that it just gets more insane when we move to 5.  So I am embracing my Oliver and realizing (over and over again) just what an incredible kid he is.

A couple weeks ago we had a day where the wiggles and crazy were getting a bit, well, wiggly and crazy.  Rather then trying to think of yet another way to contain my Rocket, I put him in the car and we headed to the climbing gym.  He loved it!  And, of course, he was amazing.  In a few years when Oliver is scaling sheer cliffs and I am begging him to do a sport which is a little less extreme, he will likely note that I was the one who introducing him to climbing.  But, let's focus on now.  Oliver loves to climb, he loves the climbing shoes (a must for my shoe-lover), and is desperate for more.  So I am off to get my certificate in belaying so Oliver can climb to his little heart is content.
While Oliver has always been a master of words, he has been hysterical and brilliant as of late. 

Unfortunately our beta fish passed away this week.  In an attempt to disperse the tears I suggested we think of a name for the new fish and provided several suggestions: "Mommy, those names are not good.  We know people with those names and it good get confusing."  Good point.  So I suggested Priscilla.  "Mommy, that is even sillier, we could confuse Priscilla with Godzilla!"  Ummm, I didn't realize that Godzilla was someone who stopped by very often.  I suggested Zoe. "Mommy, Zoe could be confused with any name!  I think we should call her Eloise."  Settled.  "Oh Mommy."  Ok - not settled.  "Beta fish seem to die very quickly.  Bo Bo and Ulysses (our goldfish) live much longer (3 1/2 years!!).  I think our new fish should be a goldfish.  And I think we should get a parrot because they live so long."  I talked Oliver down from the parrot ledge and yesterday Oliver, Henni and Hollie went to secure the new fish.  Eloise was chosen because "she was the most wiggly, most crazy, and shimmery fish."  I noted that I thought she was a very good looking goldfish and that I was glad they hadn't chosen one of the fish that had those weird bubbles over their eyes as those ones kind of freak me out.  To this Oliver responded: "Mommy, it is weird to you because it is different.  But all fish are fish and you shouldn't like one more or less because of what they look like.  You should just like them all because they are fish."  Silence.  Stunned. Oh how right Oliver is.  How wise.  I need to listen to his musings more.

Another musing from my little guy - we all got new sneakers yesterday.  I put my on and Oliver takes a step back, sizes me up and down and says: "Oh Mommy, those look just fantastic on you!"  He then suggested we all go for a run to test out our new sneakers.  Upon hearing the suggestion Henni rips off her shirt.  Oliver looks at the confused look on my face and responds "Henni noticed all the fast runners in the running race we watched on Tuesday had no shirts on.  Henni wants to go fast."

No comments:

Post a Comment