Sleep. It is a pretty incredible thing. It is also something which has been fairly elusive in our house. For four years our nights have involved up and down and the great migration, and then more up and down and then more migration. And our days - while friends sleep, we play. No naps in this house. Until recently, the play hard and no nap equation did not yield a good night. However, something has changed, perhaps that I am no longer nursing, and the play hard, no nap equation now yields two kids who sleep for 11-12 hours at night. To achieve this incredible milestone there have been a few bumps, or shall I say kicks.
Oliver had been going to sleep in his room and then migrating to ours - to join the likes of me, Davis, Henni, Bulldozer, Kitry, Nemo, Rio, a water bottle, and whatever else was "necessary" that evening. However, the past couple weeks the menagerie that is our bed has included Oliver from the start. Oliver likes to snuggle by way of trying to stick his feet in between your ribs. And Henni likes her space and kicks and punches if anyone touches her while she is asleep. While the kids have started sleeping, Davis and I had begun to dread going to bed - knowing we would endure an evening of torture. However last night something incredible happened - both kids went to sleep in their own room and in their own bed. Yes, everyone migrated (with animals) to our bed, but hey - I am not discounting those two hours. In fact, I am going to celebrate them!
Tonight the same thing happened - two kids, their room, each in their own bed. But something else incredible happened - Henni asked me to leave when I was putting her to sleep. I did. She put herself to sleep! I have no idea how long the wee ones will stay in their room tonight, but I will celebrate each and every minute.
 |
| Helping cook dinner |
 |
| Henni helping in the workshop |
 |
| Oliver road up the driveway and commented "I am the hardest man ever!" |
 |
| Sitting in one of the many holes dug by Charlie. |
 |
| Snack on the rake. Sans pants. |
good news! congrats!
ReplyDeleteHooray for sleep! Hope it continues!
ReplyDelete