Tuesday, October 23, 2012

That lovely life list

In February I put together my lovely life list - a list which serves as a compass to open up experiences, not a bucket list of things to do before I die.

#3 on the February 15, 2012 version of my lovely list was run 10 miles.  Let's be honest I am stubborn, I can be strict, and deadlines and results...those I supervise get things done.  However, I tend to not hold myself to the same standards.  A conversation in early August between my freak-of-an-athlete husband and Larry and Jen resulted in me having no excuses and signing up for a half marathon (October, not too hot, not too cold.  Starts at the end of our street.  Ends at the end of our street.  A training program which enable me to check something of my lovely life list.  Only 12 weeks, oh - here is a 12 week training program...).  A week after said conversation Davis and I headed out on my first run.  I made him push Henni in the stroller so as to add a degree of difficulty.  He and Henni had no problem, I begged to die, begged to be left on the side of the road, begged to walk...the distance was 3 miles - the furthest I had ever run.  But, I had printed out the plan and I had paid my $60 registration fee for the half marathon...

Each week following I was running distances greater than I had ever run.  I was super excited, but in pain.  The I bought new sneakers, the pain went away and I was just excited - I was running and not wanting to die!  On September 30th I ran 10 miles.  I woke up early, I put on my shoes and I ran.  I felt wonderful.  I enjoyed every minute of the the run and came home feeling incredible - and feeling as though I could run miles upon miles more.  I was so excited.

I got sick. I had to stop running - a few attempts made it clear I could not run until I was feeling better.

Sunday was the half marathon.  I finished.  I finished 9 minutes faster than my personal goal, but it wasn't fun.  Miles 1-7 were great, after that I wanted to die.  Am I glad I finished?  Yes.  Am I proud of myself?  I guess so.  But, to be totally honest, that 10 miles run is what makes me proud - it is the run which makes me excited.  That one was my real goal - that run was for me - and I loved it.  Of course, there are no pictures of that run - Davis was asleep, my parents were watching the kids... So the pictures from this past weekend will have to stand in.




Another item I realize I need to cross off the list- sleeping more than 3 hours at a stretch (#18 on the February 15, 2012 list).  The wee ones are currently in their room sleeping.  Yes, they will migrate down the hall, but they do that just once.  Yes, once they move into the bed I will get kicked repeatedly in the ribs and face - and a pull-up will leak and I will find myself in a pool of urine - BUT I will sleep for more than 3 hours at a time.  And this I will celebrate!!

The other day I woke up so excited about our sleeping, and in the shower began fantasizing about a blog post about my cherubs.  Fast forward 5 minutes - I am out of the shower and getting dressed.  My cherubs are chatting in their room and getting dressed.  Suddenly there is screaming ... Henni was opposed to Oliver's clothing choice and therefore threw herself at him and sunk her razor sharp badger teeth into his cheek/eye.  Bye-bye cherub post, hello ice, time out, snuggles...


Henni's shirt got dirty later that day and her babysitter chose this one for her (it reads naughty).  While I don't condone the whole scarlet letter thing, it did make me chuckle.


And then here is this morning (oh yes, we were headed to school).  Oliver with a new bike (spotted by me after my run - even after 13.1 miles I can still spot items available on the side of the road), my medal, 4 shirts, a sweat shirt, and a flashlight duct taped to his helmet. (Hollie- he asked me to take this picture for you - to show you the new bike.)


So the question is - #8 on my lovely life list is to start something really fantastic.  I had envisioned something different, but the photos and antics of Oliver and Henni do point to something fantastic.  Can I also cross this off my list?  Something to think aboutI guess.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the half!! That's awesome. And wow, those are some sharp chompers. Hope he's okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Katie - proud of you! And you look great after the finish, so it couldn't have been that bad?! I definitely think you can cross #8 off, naughty or not.

    ReplyDelete