This winter has not been very snowy here. The majority of our fun in the snow has had to take place in Maine where the snow Gods have been a bit more giving. A couple weeks ago we had promise of a big storm, but the 6-12 inches promised amount to only a dusting. Given the snow-free ground and promises broken, I was suspect when I heard we were to have a blizzard this past weekend. Friday morning though I awoke to snow and to an empty refrigerator. When I say empty refrigerator I don't mean - I only have 4 gallons of milk, 5 loaves of bread, and 12 dozen eggs empty - I mean, no milk, no eggs, no bread. This is usually not a reason for alarm or panic as it is our fridge on a daily basis. However, Friday morning it was an issue as I knew I would have to not only go to the grocery store, but I would also have to brave the throngs of people stocking up for the perceived apocalypse. (Why may I ask, do people stock upon food when there is a real possibility of power loss? And why does anyone need 12 gallons of milk and a million bazillion bottles of water for a 2 day storm?) I arrived at the grocery store moments before it opened and ran through - victorious - food for the next couple days.
Bolstered by my survival at the grocery store I thought I would try and move a few things in the garage so that we could actually try and put one of the cars inside. Now our garage usually looks like a before picture, and so it took quite a few precarious ballet moves and precarious placement of items to clear out a side. Unfortunately our fun (bikes, kayaks, skis, snowshoes, sleds...) has claimed the garage and despite my efforts we were unable to fit a car inside. To make myself feel accomplished I parked a dump truck.
Saturday morning we awoke to lots of snow. And you know what, I am damn happy that we couldn't get the cars in the garage because it was so much more exciting to wake up to this (and it was still snowing!)...
You may think I am being sarcastic, but I am not. It was great fun for me and the kids to wake up to buried cars.
We spent the weekend digging out and playing in close to 30 inches of snow.
We even attempted a luge of our own. While it was not as steep or as long as the one in Maine, it had some pretty awesome features. For starters it was part of an extensive snow fort which included stairs, benches, and cave. It also had an awesome tunnel. Not bad for city folk.









Looks like lots of winter fun!
ReplyDelete