Thursday, March 28, 2013
DNA
A few days ago we made a trip to Kittery to buy anew clothes for Oliver and Henni; the two have sprouted due to their obscene eating (and, most likely, age). The kids were so excited to shop (definitely do not take after their parents) that they didn't eat much lunch. And then Henni decided to poop as soon as we walked in the store. Needless to say we were a very grumpy and smelly bunch. I concentrated on making it in and out of the store in as little as time as possible. Since I have no input into what the kids wear, I honestly didn't look at what was chosen until we returned home - alive, fed (ah, McDonald's), and poop-free. I therefore had to laugh when Oliver was modeling his new clothes...Davis? Perhaps the uniform is in the DNA?
Speaking of DNA, I am in trouble (again, confirmed). Not just because my boys like to wear white linen shirts and khaki shorts, but because Oliver might know a crazy lot. Oliver tore into the new National Geographic tonight and was looking through the pages. The focus of the magazine is the efforts of scientists to bring back extinct species - should they do it, should they not, implications, etc., etc.. Oliver is flipping through, identifying several extinct species, and then notes the image of a double helix. He launches into a discussion of DNA. Davis and I are floored as we had no idea he knew about DNA. We ask him to expand (turns out he learned about DNA on Wild Kratts). He tells us that we can think of DNA as the lines of a swing wrapped twisted together, and says that nearly every cell in our bodies contains DNA. He then goes on to express his opinion on bringing back extinct species -- "There is probably a reason why they are extinct. Natural selection is something to consider."
I have said it before, and I will say it again - I am way out of my league with this kid.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment