Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Hello Mrs. President


Parenting is tough work.  One of the most challenging parts of parenting is figuring out how to raise children in such a way that they are thoughtful, respectful, gracious, full of love, full of ideas, and full of fun.  There are days when I am pretty sure Davis and I have failed.  And then there are days when I am so proud of Oliver and Henni and the people that they are - and are becoming - that I think we may be on the right track.

Yesterday I came home from work and, in the summary of the day's activities, was told the most amazing story.  Oliver, Henni, and Hollie were doing a large floor puzzle of the United States, and Oliver asked Hollie to explain to him why South Dakota had a picture of men's faces carved into a mountain.  Hollie explained Mount Rushmore to Oliver.  His response - But, I don't understand why there are no women.  Dear, wonderful Hollie explained to Oliver that there have been no female presidents.  Oliver was shocked by this and silent for a few minutes.  He then looked up and told Hollie that Henni should be the first female president.  He said that he is pretty sure she has the skills - tough as nails, fair, and she knows how to draw a line in the sand and not let anyone over it (trust me, she is very good at this).

I love that Oliver was shocked and appalled that there have been no female presidents - and I love that he believes Henni should be president.  I am all for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment