Friday, August 30, 2013

Responsibilty

As a mother, wife, dog owner, home owner, bill payer, employee, board member, parent rep, friend, sister, daughter, aunt... I feel as though responsibility is a heavy weight on my shoulders.  For some reason this week has felt especially responsibility-ladened and, because of this,  I have managed to sleep maybe a total of 20 hours.

Today was my day to exercise.  So at 5:30 I got out of bed and ran.   Because this was the responsible thing (and because I hate missing my morning).  I made my mental to-do list in my head while I ran.  While having a cup of coffee, and putting my to-do list onto paper, I heard chattering from upstairs.  After a few minutes I went to investigate.  Oliver and Henni were snuggling together in bed and Oliver was telling her a story about a unicorn.  At that very moment the do-list disappeared.

Yes, there are things that need to get done, but what really matters?  Does it matter if the floor is mopped today?  Or what about the bathroom?  Does it need to be cleaned today?  The answer - no.  What really needs to be done is fun.  Imagination.  Play.  Love.

The kids just went to sleep.  The house is a disaster.  Toys are everywhere.  The pile of laundry that needs to be folded is threatening to collapse the house.  Either Davis brought home another dog today or the house needs a serious vacuuming.  It isn't clear if we can pull together a breakfast of anything other than basil, artichoke hearts, cheese, and peaches.  But today we rode bikes to get bagels, we played with Charlie, we went to the playground, we went swimming, we painted, we played trucks, we played babies, we played with friends, we read... and I am headed up to go to bed.

Today was, I think, one of the most responsible days I have had in a long long time.




No comments:

Post a Comment