Saturday, January 11, 2014

A new chapter

December 2011, the day after Christmas, amid the chaos and excitement, a most wonderful person came into our lives.  The moment Hollie walked into our house Davis, Oliver, Henni, and I were under her magical spell.  I know it sounds corny, but it is true.  Hollie has a way about her that transforms everything to calm, to fun, and makes even the most impatient person - patient.

The last couple years have been a roller coaster for us.  Job changes, financial ups and down, the day-to-day challenges of being working (and not working) parents, a (huge) puppy, and some health scares.  Hollie was with us through all of this.  She put up with crazy schedules, last minutes schedule changes, crazy nanny share situations which allowed us to have Hollie still be with us - even during the roughest patches.  In Hollie's magical way she turned this craziness into something lovely - and she even created a bond between Henni and Lucy that is so strong I selfishly hope it will last - forever.

Although I knew we would hire Hollie from the moment she stepped in our door, I called her reference. I was told that I would be lucky if she joined our family.  Never has a statement been so true.  Is there a word stronger than lucky?  If so, that is what we were.  Hollie became a part of our family.  Hollie made us all better people.

From day one we knew that Hollie would leave after she graduated.  I had grand plans of adding an addition onto the house (including a separate backyard and driveway) just for Hollie, and grand plans of finding her her dream job - in Newburyport.  Given our bank account account, reality, and zoning regulations those dreams were impossible.

Magical Hollie (as Davis calls her) managed to cast her spell on someone else, and a couple weeks ago was able to realize her dream of getting a job in her field and moving to Maine to be closer to her family.  The first week back at work and school without Hollie was a bit hectic, but we made it.  We missed her incredibly, but we made it through and even managed a night out with friends.

We truly wish Hollie all the best in this next chapter of her life.  But we do plan on holding her to going skiing with us - Oliver has promised to teach her how to ski, and this is something I have to see.


















No comments:

Post a Comment