Tomorrow we return to work and school. We've been off since the 24th and I know that tomorrow morning will be a rude awakening. Over the last couple weeks have have managed to squeeze in so much and capture the joy, meaning, and spirit of the season.
Charlie and I began our holiday break with an early morning snowshoe. Bliss.
This year we were a part of two caroling parties, one on our street, and the other a couple streets over. I loved every minute of both parties and so did the kids. Henni surprised us by knowing just about every word to every Christmas carol.
A wonderful surprise was finding this Letter to the Editor in the local paper. This letter not only speaks to the joy we can bring one another (so easily) and the true spirit of the holidays, but also to our neighborhood. I've said it 1,000 times, but I will say it again - we are so lucky to live where we do. We now have 32 kids under 15 on our little street, amazing parents, and some amazing friends.
Oliver's note to Santa included a treasure map. The treasure - whoopie pies. The reason why Santa's treats needed to be hidden away - Charlie.
Oliver awake at 5:00 Christmas morning, ready to open presents. The combination of a small house and a full house - we took to the only empty room - the bathroom. After turning the kids into a prune (don't you want to stay in longer?!), I held him off a little longer by having him watch his favorite show (Top Gear (UK, of course)) with Papa and LeLe. By 7:30 he couldn't take it anymore, so we headed downstairs and tried to stave off present opening until Henni woke up - 8:30.
After Christmas we headed north. The snow at the Snow Bowl was incredible and it was open from top to bottom. We spent 3 days skiing and I am beyond impressed with how was both Oliver and Henni are doing. Both have improved significantly.
While Henni loves skiing, she also loves apre ski. A huge thanks to Papa and LeLe for being her lodge buddy so that Davis, Oliver and I could ski longer. This year Henni was thrilled to have her cousin Quinn join her in the lodge.
Henni LOVES babies and is the most amazing mom. She hovered over Quinn and catered to his every need (real and perceived). She also took great joy in copying everything Elizabeth did with Quinn.
For some reason Oliver buried his camera in the backyard. Unable to find it we borrowed the most hysterical metal detector. While it was fun (and funny) we, unfortunately, did not find the camera.
On New Years Eve Henni fell asleep at 5 leaving Davis, Oliver and I to party on our own. Sparkling cider and a rousing game of chomp was the perfect way to ring in the new year (at 8).
We decided to start the new year with some exercise. Henni was extremely helpful in terms of raising the level of difficulty.
And, of course, New Years day is the Polar Plunge. 22 degrees (much colder with windchill) and water in the low 40s.
Davis and a couple of his other crazy friends splashing about in the water long after the others had run back to their clothes.
And of course there is friendship. These two girls are such great friends. Selfishly I hope they will be friends for a long long time and will look back at this time together - happily.
Happy holidays!
















Santa brought us Chomp too! Fun game. Looks like a fun holiday season. I love the idea of a caroling party!
ReplyDelete