Friday, October 16, 2009

Growing up

This morning we awoke to find a light dusting of snow. Snow on October 16th! I am very much hoping that this doesn't mean we will have a cold and snowy winter. I guess it does mean, however, that I should unpack our beach bag that currently stands, waiting for use, at our back door.
Over the last couple months Oliver truly has become a toddler. He is no longer our little baby, but rather is a little boy. A little boy with lots of laughs, lots of opinions, and a love for animals and the outdoors. He is also a stickler for health and wellness (spinach and apples seem to be his foods of choice). Every day Oliver begins his day by yelling "Up, up, up..." and, if we don't respond quick enough, he'll slide off the bed and open the door (which he knows will prompt both Davis and me to bolt out of bed). We then head down the hall where he yells "Teeth, teeth, teeth..." until he is put up next to the sink and our toothbrush party ensues. Once we get dressed and head downstairs Oliver will grab his shoes and socks, and my shoes and head to the back door. Once outside he will head to the garage and try to open the door. When I open the door for him he selects his bike or stroller, depending on his mood, and we are off for the day.

In addition to his little morning routine Oliver loves to watch his fish swim around and loves to try and feed them (anything and everything he has in his hands). He likes to wave at them and say "Hi fish." I never thought fish had expressions, but I do think the fish are terrified of him. He also has developed a love for Buddha. Buddha used to sit next to my side of the bed, but Oliver kept trying to lift Buddha off the side table and carry him around (he is a big heavy Buddha), so for Buddha and Oliver's safety, Buddha got moved to my closet. Oliver tries to get in there whenever he can. And when he does he says, "Hi Buddha," and gives him a big kiss.

Oliver has also become much more aware of his surroundings. The other day we were walking to CVS and Oliver started quacking. At first I was confused, but then realized he thought we were off to feed the ducks since the pond is on the way to CVS. And on Wednesday Jessica, who watches Oliver when I am working, said that Oliver started clapping and saying "Ma ma ma..." when he saw my car drive up the road and into the driveway.

I am amazed at what Oliver knows. I have been having fun asking him to get me different things from around the house. Nine times out of ten I think he will have no idea what I am asking him to get and nine times out of ten he surprises me by returning with the item.

And finally - while Oliver amazes and surprises me everyday with what he knows and what he has learned, he has not surprised me with starting to love sleep - the little monster still abhors sleep. His hatred of his crib has progressed to the point that, when placed in the crib, he no longer just gnaws on it, he actually bites chunks of wood off (trying to bite his way out I am guessing). So we put a mattress on the floor of his room in the hopes he might like to sleep on it. So far he loves reading books on it and saying "Night night" and pretending to go to sleep on it. However, when it is time for sleep he pops up, grabs either my hand or Davis' and walks us into our room and he climbs up on our bed. I guess some things never change.

1 comment:

  1. Very sweet post, Katie. If it makes you feel any better, our beach bag is also still packed and ready in our garage. I kept thinking we would get one more beach day....sigh.

    ReplyDelete