One learns never to get between a mom and her baby/babies (I'm talking mama bear and her cubs, mama lion and her cubs...). When I became a mom this took on a new meaning - I immediately understood the need/desire to "protect" my little one, to make him happy, and to make sure he was well care for. I also no longer saw Mrs. Mallard as a crazy duck traipsing through the city with babies. Instead I saw her as a wonderful, independent mom, trying to find a better place for her babies (I still do question Mr. Mallard's commitment - off exploring?!)
I bring all of this up because we, fittingly, spent Mother's Day with my mom and grandmother at the Make Way for Ducklings Parade in Boston. The "parade" is actually all the little ones dressed in full duck regalia (or in Oliver's case, a duck hat) following the Harvard Marching Band along the path Mrs. Mallard took - through Beacon Hill to the Public Garden.
Oliver fell asleep on the way to the parade, but woke up (or was woken up by his Aunt Elizabeth (still not clear)) just as the parade was about to begin.
No comments:
Post a Comment