Both Davis and I have been away from Oliver for a night, but until this past weekend we had never been away from him - together. It wasn't because there was no one to watch him (in fact I think my parents may have started asking to take Oliver for a night or two the day Oliver was born, and my sister has also offered on numerous occasions), our excuse, instead, has been that he is a horrible sleeper. Our plan was that as soon as Oliver started to sleep through the night we'd leave the little rocket and head off for a weekend. Perhaps Oliver knew of this plan and therefore decided that he would chose to never sleep through the night in the hopes that Davis and I would not go away without him. Sorry little fellow, but your little plan was foiled.
To be honest I thought I would be worried, nervous, sad... when Davis and I pulled away from our house, but I was not. I knew that Oliver was in good hands (when we left he was up on a ladder washing the car with Papa) and that everyone would make it through the weekend. My only concern was that Papa and Le Le would not get much (if any) sleep Saturday night. Unfortunately my fears were not unfounded - I think the three of them may have gotten four hours of sleep - if they were lucky (thank you Papa and Le Le!). While there wasn't much sleep to be had there was lots of fun -
Oliver and Papa built a plane


They fed chickens

And Oliver did manage to take some good naps.

Davis and I both loved getting photo updates while we were away - while we were having our fun it was great to see the fun Oliver was having.
We were cautioned by many that we'd get the cold shoulder when we returned home - not so. We were regaled with adventures and shown all of the projects that had been done, all the pictures that had been drawn, and all the toys that had been played with. It was only after Papa and Le Le left, and on Monday morning after Davis left that Oliver decided to get down to business - he sprouted horns and a tail, and after he turned himself into the devil he proceeded to get about 50 time outs - about half of which he gave himself because, as he put it, Oliver was naughty (right you are Oliver). I called Davis about 5:30 and implored - please, please, please, tell me you are on your way home from work. Thankfully he was, and thankfully by Tuesday morning the devil was gone and Oliver had returned.
But, back to the wedding. Both Davis and I loved catching up with everyone. It was such a treat to have more than 24 hours just with adults, especially such wonderful friends. We were able to chat, dance, eat, teach people how to tie ties, sleep, and just enjoy each other without the pitter patter of little feet.
Yea for grandparents - and yea for a night away for you and Davis! I'm glad you snuck one in before #2 arrives. :-) So great to see you guys!
ReplyDeleteNeed a copy of that last picture! Meliss, why are you so tall? Anyway, it was SO GREAT to have a weekend with just us grown ups! Glad Oliver had such a good time too.
ReplyDeleteIt was such a fun time! I am also curious why I am a giant... I didn't know I had wonder heels on. Glad Oliver was happy to see you guys and hopefully we'll have more fun adult weekends down the road... not that I don't love pitter pattering small feet.
ReplyDelete