Saturday, September 25, 2010

Waiting

We are in Deal, a small town on the coast of England - waiting. The weather is pretty chilly (about 60) and we've had sun each morning followed by a bit of rain each day. The wind has been the big thing - I guess there were eight foot swells out in the Channel today. Honestly, looking at at the Channel, I would not even consider getting down to what is the equivalent of a small pair of underwear and jumping in. That being said, we are waiting for the best time for Davis to do just that - and are fingers and toes are crossed hoping that he can do it - soon.


Oliver has been amazing. He was wonderful on the flight. Although neither Davis nor I slept on the flight over, Oliver slept for about two hours. And then the first night we were here he slept wonderfully. Last night - not so much. Davis fell asleep part way through the first book I was reading to Oliver and then Oliver and I were up for another 3 and half hours - me doing anything I could think of to get Oliver to sleep and Oliver doing everything he could think of to stay awake.

Today we headed to Canterbury where we met up with Davis' brother Tim, his wife Carolyn and "baby" Caitlin- although Caitlin is no longer a baby - she's now walking and talking and has a true personality. After lunch in Canterbury we went to a wildlife conservation area. The place advertised many animals, but the ones we were most excited about seeing were the lemurs and foosa. Both Davis and Oliver are obsessed with the movie Madagascar - both quoting it consistently and both trying to act like the characters in the movie (although I do have to admit that our entire household has gotten into dancing to "I like to move it move it" and at 8 months pregnant my dancing is quite spectacular.) When we arrived at the place we were told that the price of admission had been reduced because many of the animals had "moved on" (we asked later and moved on meant to a zoo, not to animal heaven). So the tigers, bears, elephants etc. were gone, but the lemurs and foosa had not been packed up as yet, so we decided to check out the place. There were a lot of empty cages, houses etc., but our little troop didn't care one bit. In addition to seeing lemurs and foosa we also saw otters and a snow leopard. Oliver, who isn't one to shy away from danger, kept trying to give them all high-fives.

(Note the lemurs in the background.)

No comments:

Post a Comment