A couple years ago I convinced Davis that it was time for him to swim the English Channel - a young child and the real possibility that, given the economic situation, one or both of us could become unemployed at any moment...the perfect time to undertake such a big feat. Davis' training schedule and planning for the big trip across the pond had a huge impact on our family; however, it was not the impact that one might imagine. Davis' Channel swim helped us to carve out time for me, for Davis, and for the family -- something we had been horrible about doing before his training began. The Channel swim also made us realize how important it is for us, as parents, to continue to do what we love and to follow our dreams - that is, not putting our lives on hold for our children. Although Oliver may not remember Davis' training or his swim, I know that seeing Davis and me work together and seeing us both as physically active parents has impacted, and hopefully will continue to impact, his outlook on life.Now that Davis' big swim is over what is our next big adventure? For about 10 years I have talked about wanting to go through a yoga teacher training program. And for the past four years I have talked about wanting to start painting and doing printmaking again. When Davis agreed to do the Channel he made me promise that I would do both of these things. I agreed. However, when I agreed I had no idea that Henrietta would become a part of our family just a couple months after the swim. I tried to wiggle out of our agreement - a new baby, a 2 1/2 year old, my maternity leave ending soon, my job contract ending in a few months...Davis would have none of these excuses. Saturday I started an oil painting class and today I began my yoga teacher training.
Both Saturday and today were a bit scary to be honest. It has become so much easier to support others than to support myself - being a mom and a wife has made it easy to put me on hold. It is also hard to leave Oliver, Henrietta and Davis - I love spending time with my family. That being said - both the painting class and the teacher training flew by - they were seconds long. To say I am looking forward to the next sessions of both classes would be an understatement - I am counting the seconds.
I am so thankful to have such an amazing husband and children who will support me over the next year. Davis is going to have to take care of the little ones quite a bit in order for me to get my certification and for me to do my art. I am hopeful that, like Davis' swim, my adventures will prove to be a positive experience for all of us.

I am very impressed with both your and Davis' pursuits. I can't wait to hear how the yoga and art classes go! (And great pics of the four of you too.)
ReplyDelete