Friday, July 1, 2011

Almost three

It is just about 11 on July 2nd. Three years ago I was challenging Davis to about the 4 billionth backgammon game - I wanted to win just one game before we called it a night. We had spent the day at the beach - me in a way too small bikini (wanting to get a little sun on my large belly) reading a book and Davis surfing. Following the beach we had Indian and then our game night. After finally winning a game (being given a win is likely more like it) we went up to bed. After being asleep just a half hour I was awakened by my water breaking. Oliver was born just about 11 hours later - a week early.

That night seems like just yesterday. I really have no idea how it is possible that tomorrow I will have a three year old. I have, of course, fallen totally in love with Oliver. He is busy, often, as he says, too busy. He loves to work, loves to give hugs, loves trucks and dinos and reading, loves snuggling, and loves to test the limits (okay, he often likes to forget there are limits). He also cracks me up. Just thinking about today there are two things that stand out - he wanted to make a rainbow and so he began: "Step one: Get gold. Step two: Get water. Step Three: Get flashlight." Of course - how could one even begin to make a rainbow without gold?! The other - he opened his birthday present from his Aunt Connie and Uncle Bob. As he was opening it he says: "Connie and Bob live in new Hampshire and they have a dog named Sasha." My mom asks me how he knows that. Not giving me a chance to respond Oliver says, "Oh, I remember everything." I truly believe this to be the case. Every day I am astounded by how much Oliver knows and what he remembers.

Oliver has been plotting his birthday cake for some time. For a period of time he was asking for an ice cream cake in the shape of a rocket ship with doors that opened and closed so that his dino (one foot tall) Mark could climb in and out. Thankfully he attended his friend Henry's party and Henry had a sheet cake. Oliver revised his request to a flat ice cream cake with picture of a rocket ship on it. It is because of this that I am up. While I could buy a cake for Oliver, I want to make it. My mom made the most wonderful and memorable cakes every year and I want to do the same for Oliver. So I just placed in the freezer a sagging squishy ice cream cake topped with a rocket ship and a dino. I may need to send Davis for some dry ice in the morning as the cake is to head to the playground tomorrow for Oliver's birthday celebration.

Well, more tomorrow. My usual bedtime is 9, maybe 10, so this mommy is tired and babbling. But I had a moment to myself - Henni is asleep in her bed and Oliver and Davis are curled up together in Oliver's bed - and had noticed the time and got to thinking...

1 comment: