Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bed hopping

While our crew retires early, our nights include a good amount of bed hopping.

Oliver and Henni share a room, which works out perfectly, except when it doesn't. Henni likes to fall asleep seconds before it is time for story time and snuggles for Oliver. Some nights we can convince Oliver that story time by flashlight is fun, but many nights he likes to be difficult - yelling for the lights to be on and, well, just plain yelling. On these nights Henni either gets awakened or gets quietly scooped up and brought into our room and put in the co-sleeper.

Fast forward a few hours. Around 11 Henni wakes up and wants to eat. If she's in her room so as not to wake Oliver she comes into our room. Depending on the night she either falls back to sleep snuggled up against me or in the co-sleeper.

Somewhere between midnight and 4:00 Henni wakes up to eat again. Also somewhere between midnight and 4:00 Oliver makes his way to our room. He slams the bedroom door open, then quietly closes it, climbs into bed and snuggles up as close as he can. Four in the bed is tight. Davis is usually hanging off the piping on one side, I am on the other, my pillow propped off the bed on the edge of the co-sleeper, my body half in the bed and half suspended in the air, precariously balanced on the co-sleeper (the bassinet is no longer in use, so the co-sleeper is really just an abyss within which I could tumble at any moment). And the little ones are snuggled up taking up an obscene amount of space (how they can snuggle while taking up so much space is just plain mind-boggling). Many nights I get a bit frustrated with the lack of comfort and scoop up Henni and we move back into Oliver and Henni's room and we finish up the night snuggled together in Oliver's bed or with me in Oliver's bed and Henni in her crib.

If it is my morning to go the gym and I am in the kid's room and Henni is in Oliver's bed and not the crib, I go into our room, wake up Davis and then he goes to the kid's room and snuggles with Henni - falling back asleep until one of the wee ones decides it is time to begin the day.

Each morning I curse our queen-sized bed. One could argue that I should actually be cursing the sheer number of people in the bed, not the size of the bed, but then I wouldn't get to snuggle with my little ones. Both Oliver and Henni are on the go all day and it is difficult to find a time where I can get them to stop and cuddle. So while I would probably benefit from a full night of sleep, I figure - why start now? I have managed three years without one and am still standing - so I am opting for the snuggling and am pushing for the king-sized bed...

Look how much fun one can have even after a night of bed hopping -


No comments:

Post a Comment