Monday, July 25, 2011

Decisions


In a few hours Davis will head to the dock in San Pedro, California to meet the person who will take him, Taggart (his cousin) and Andrew to Catalina. When they reach Catalina Davis will jump into the water and begin his 21 mile swim back to San Pedro.

We had made the decision that I would not go on the boat for the English Channel swim as my due date (which turned out to be the day Henrietta arrived) was just 7 weeks from the icy swim. It was tough to make that decision, but it was the right decision to make and a decision a do not at all regret making.

Here we are again. Henni just turned 8 months old and Oliver just turned three years old. Davis and I struggled for weeks about what to do about the Catalina swim. Should we all go out? Should we have someone come and watch the kids so I could go on the boat? Should we leave the kids at home and have someone watch them? Should we all go out, but just have Andrew go on the boat and me stay on shore with the kids? Trust me, there were many agonizing discussions. Then one night we sat down and really talked about it. We had both felt pressure about what we "should" do, but what felt right for both of us was for me to stay home with the kids and for Davis to head to California without us. While I do wish I could be there with him and be with Davis to realize such an amazing goal (and trust me, it is so hard to not be there with him after being a part of his swimming every day), again, I know we made the right decision.

I have often discussed how every person tackles parenting in a different way; in a way which works for them. Davis and I have made the decision to make our children central to our lives. That means making tough choices like having me stay home with the kids and not be with Davis in Catalina. (Or not going to my sister's bachelorette party next weekend because Davis and I don't feel any of us are ready for me to spend a night away from the kids.) But while it is tough, and while people might say we are crazy, it works for us - and really, since we are the ones curling up together each night (and hopefully each night for the next 70 years), that is what really matters.

So now, I am going to go kiss our kids good-night and try to get a couple hours of sleep before I start incessantly checking my phone for updates on Davis' progress across the Channel and before the kids start waking up and we begin our nightly bed hopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment