Monday, July 18, 2011

Is you didn't know

Oliver is constantly asking us: "Is you didn't know...". I worked for awhile on a literacy project and know that I should point out that the correct phrase is: "Did you know that...", but I am having trouble doing that as I am endeared to his Oliverism. So endeared am I that I am going to steal his phrase - is you didn't know that there has been a lot going on as of late?

I am officially a stay at home mommy. Thus far my fears of being a stay at home mom have been unfounded, but it is largely because Oliver has been spending his mornings at camp. Oliver started camp, offered by the Montessori school which he will be attending in the fall, on July 5th. The first few days of camp were rocky. The first day I left with Oliver in tears and picked up a still somewhat sniffly little boy. The next day he still had tears at drop off and also had tears at pick up - but the pick up tears were because he didn't want to leave. Over the past couple weeks we have seen a transformation - Oliver now wakes up and is eager to head to school and is not at all eager to come home at the end of the morning. I am not sure exactly what Oliver does at camp as he is not very willing to divulge information, but he has come home with some beautiful art work and a very special rock given to him by a "pretty blond" girl "with pink velcro shoes" who sat next to him at circle time.

Little Henni is now 8 months old and is full of personality and go. Our stairs have seemed to have acquired a magnetic field - one can put Henni down anywhere and immediately she heads for the stairs. I wish I had pulled out the camera last night to capture her crawling up the stairs with Jordan, the snake. Jordan is just about as big as she is so it took quite a bit of work, but she made it to the top and was very pleased with herself.

Generally, when she gets herself up and going she is very pleased (as well she should be).

Henni is generally pleased with herself when she can get her hands (and mouth) on anything and everything. A favorite "meal" is that of shoes. Keen sandals, Oliver's or Davis', are her favorite, but she will munch on any shoes she can grab. And grab she does - she pulls every shoe off the shoe rack so as to get her shoe of choice, or, depending on the mood, to enjoy the shoe buffet.

For some crazy reason I brought both kids to Oliver's three year doctor's appointment. I had thought (why, I have no idea) that Henni would sit happily in the stroller and watch the appointment. Rather, Henni wanted to be fully involved and Oliver did not want to be involved in the appointment at all. If there had been a recruiter for an alligator wrestling position at the office I believe I would have been offered a job. That being said, Henni did manage to chuck an odescope across the exam room (those things are tougher than they look - she bounced it off both the wall and the floor, and it didn't break) and she successfully pulled off the electrode things the nurse had put on Oliver's head for the eye test.

What else? The little bundle of chub is just starting to get her very first tooth. With her rolls, one tooth, and smile she makes an excellent biker chick. And let me tell you, this little girls loves being park of the afternoon bike extravaganza that takes place on our street (the extravaganza which is supervised by those yellow man, the Peter Donalds) - she rings the bell and jumps up and down and often gives a very loud squawk (she still makes dinosaur noises).

And Oliver. Well, he is still a man of fashion. Note the toga look he gave himself the other day.

So, is you didn't know - that's what has been happening around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment