Tuesday, September 6, 2011

To school

My little boy started school today. While he and I have parted ways for several hours a week since he was 14 weeks old and I returned to work, and while he attended three weeks of summer camp this summer - today I have to admit there was a lump in my throat when I took his first day of school picture. As I stood there taking his picture the reality that he would be spending years upon years in school and this was day one hit me. The part of me that was excited about today vanished right then, and when we went into the school to find his cubby and to meet his teachers I found myself almost looking for excuses as to why we should leave and why maybe he was just too little be there.

But then there was, of course, the girl. There was an adorable little girl in a cute dress and pink sparkly glasses. Oliver attached himself to her and started to play, forgetting I was there. Seeing him meet a new friend and watching him explore his new classroom, I knew that the truth is that he will love school and that it is selfish of me to want him to remain my little snuggly (I wish) boy forever.

At the end of the day Oliver told me: "All girls love pink," "I want pink sparkle glasses like Sophie," and "They don't have the pencil sharpener, but I guess I will still go tomorrow." (When he visited the school they had a pencil sharpener he loved and he has been counting the days until he could use it again. Unfortunately they got a new one and it doesn't have the allure of the old one.)

Tomorrow I am sure I will, again, get a bit teary-eyed when I leave Oliver, but I know he is embarking on a great adventure.

I also know that pretty soon we will likely have a pencil sharpener at our house.


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your first day of school, Oliver! And to Mama for holding it all together. These kids are growing up too fast!

    ReplyDelete