Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wrecking ball and other thoughts

I have a list of things I want my boys to build. On Sunday afternoon my boys were in the basement for a bit. I heard snippets of the need to plan, the need to measure, the need to think through the project. The boys then emerged from the basement and took a trip to the hardware store; Henni and I took the opportunity to go to the grocery store. When Henni and I returned from the grocery store I expected to see the start of some shelves or perhaps a frame or two (my projects). Instead I was shown the start of some crazy train bridge (because no wooden train track company makes a decent bridge) and a completed wrecking ball.




Davis and Oliver have produced an amazing number of wooden toys and attachments for Bruder trucks; each piece is insanely thought out and of incredible quality. I am thinking that perhaps the key to success may be opening a sweatshop in our basement and then selling the pieces or perhaps opening a little toy shop. (Alright, so that is probably not the best plan, but if anyone would like anything, let us know - the boys love working together in the workshop.)

Also a few wonderful conversations from the past couple days I have to document for myself:

The Parakeet

While taking a walk on Sunday morning Oliver decided, seemingly out of nowhere, that we should get a parakeet. Davis and I replied that getting a parakeet might happen but that we would need to explore what being a bird owner was really like. Oliver then told us the following: We will need a cage and food. We will also need toys and water and we will need to play with the bird. We need to put newspaper at the bottom of the cage and then change the paper so the cage doesn't get dirty. If we go away we can ask Sam and Henry (the kids next door) to watch the parakeet just like we chicken-sit for them (they have pet chickens).

Hmm. Apparently a little someone has either read a book a bird care somewhere or has learned how to surf the web. We are still debating the bird.

Distracted

While having lunch out on Sunday Oliver went from sitting and eating nicely to a crazy little devil. before we even had time to ask what was up he looked at me and then Davis and said (while pointing at a cute little girl at the next table): She is distracting me. We suggested we ignore her and continue eating. He replied: "I have already been distracted."

And so it begins...

Naughty

I have several interviews and meeting coming up and therefore the talk of childcare is constant around here. Oliver suggested that he and Henni could just stay home together. He promised that he would watch Henni and take care of her. However he also said that they would probably be naughty - BUT - because there would be no one here to tell them they were naughty, whatever they did really wouldn't be that naughty at all.

Love the logic.

No comments:

Post a Comment