Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Let's talk

This morning Henni woke up at 3:45. While I have no memory of the last time I napped I was seriously considering taking a nap with Henni while Oliver was at school, so when we arrived at school this morning to the announcement that the school was closed due to a gas leak I froze...then popped the kids in the car and headed to the science museum.  Since Henni had been up for 5 hours she was asleep before we left the school's parking lot.  With Henni asleep top 40 was not a requirement.  I gave Oliver the option - talk or music - he chose talk.  Moments into our conversation my eyes felt a bit less sandy, I felt a bit less bleary, and I found myself driving slowly so that Oliver could continue just talking - something we are not able to do much of the time (do to always needing to be on the go, needing to build train tracks, a little sister who desires lots of attention (especially when Oliver wants attention)...).

Our conversation began with global warming - a topic which Oliver brought up.  Not long into our talk he said - "Wait, wait!  So here we are talking about reduce, reuse and recycle - right?" 

Our conversation then moved on to math.  Yes, math.  Oliver said, "Mommy, what I would like to talk about is math."  Immediately I start swearing in my head, I curse Davis, I envision years of math and I, again, curse Davis and the fact that he does math problems at night (just for fun - seriously, what kind of example is that for a child?!).  Oliver continues, "So there are 2 trains..."  I tune out - he's three and he sounds like a cursed SAT question!!  I tune in again... "So that makes 4.  Mommy, does my math problem make sense?"  Oh dear god, I need a math class.

We need more Oliver and mommy time.  We need to talk more.  I love my little Rocket.


Oliver's chosen Science Museum outfit

Oliver and one of the rockets he has made as of late





1 comment:

  1. 3:45? Really? Good god. Glad you had Oliver to keep you awake for your drive to the museum!

    ReplyDelete