Davis had also planned to be one of the only few swimmers without a paddler. But, I stepped in and insisted that he have a paddler - thankfully my dad agreed to the the said paddler. Prior to the race, swimmers and paddlers met on the beach on Peaks Island. The race people checked over all the kayaks to make sure that all the necessary equipment was on the boat -- paddle, extra life jacket, water, whistle, flag... My dad, being the ever prepared mariner, also had with him a GPS, marine radio, and chart of Casco Bay (in case Davis decided to start the Channel swim from Maine?). The boat got an extra sticker for the level of preparedness.
Oliver and I were in Portland at the East End Beach waiting for the swimmers to arrive. Not knowing Portland that well, Oliver and I stumbled upon the beach after a 2 mile walk. I had thought the beach would be near a coffee place, or that there would be something in the area where I could find Oliver and I some breakfast. I was wrong, and a little five year old came up and pointed it out - "What is your baby eating?" "Split pea soup." "Why is he eating split pea soup for breakfast?" Figuring honesty was the best route - "Because I found it in the bottom of his bag." Oops. For the record, Oliver didn't seem to mind the split pea soup and loved running around the beach waiting for the swimmers and paddlers to arrive.
Go Davis!!
ReplyDeleteNice work team! Davis, any way you slice it, that is a Speedo. Please don't put Oliver in one of those any time soon.
ReplyDelete