Thursday, July 2, 2009

One

Today Oliver is one!

On the one hand it seems like just yesterday we were at Beverly Hospital with our wonderful midwife, Eva, welcoming Oliver into the world. On the other hand it seems as though Oliver has always been a part of our lives.

The changes Oliver has gone through, and what he has accomplished over this past year are astounding. When he was born he was 8 pounds 3 ounces and was 21 inches long. At his one year appointment yesterday we learned that he is now 22 pounds 6 ounces and 31 inches long! He also also gone from, well, a lump (an adorable lump), to a child with an amazing personality. He loves to go go go and go some more. He runs around, loves destroying things, climbing things, loves anything dangerous, absolutely loves being outside, loves dogs, loves ducks, he loves to quack, and he loves to smile and laugh. He also loves his Rick Charrette CD, especially the song "I love mud." Whenever the song comes on Oliver starts clapping and laughing. He is one of the happiest children I have ever met. Oliver hates being contained - and one of his greatest dislikes (hate might actually be a better word) - is his crib. If Oliver ever becomes president I would not be surprised if he banned cribs.

While Oliver has learned to, among other things, roll over, sit up, crawl, walk, talk, listen, clap, and talk, I too have learned a lot over this past year. There are the obvious things like how to change a diaper while chasing Oliver across the room, how to survive on minimal sleep, and how to sing all the versus of "I love mud." But there are also the not so obvious, or rather, the things I never thought about before I was a mom. Before having Oliver I had opinions on parenting and opinions on the type of parent I would be. Then Oliver arrived. Although the pediatrician said that there is no manual for babies, what I found is that there are a million manuals -- there are so many parenting books. It seems like every book has the "right" answer and if you don't follow what that book says, you are "wrong" and may do harm to your child. Seriously, the amount of information, conflicting information, is crazy. What is also crazy is the lack of academic literature out there. Clearly there is no "right." What I have learned is to put the books away, to ask people I love and trust for advice, and to take that advice with a grain (or two) of salt. I have learned to listen to Oliver, and to my heart and to Davis. For me, this is how I can be the best parent possible to Oliver. I have also learned that for other moms this is not the best option. In short, every family needs to figure out what works for them - and only they can figure that out.

The other thing I have learned is to let go (although sometimes this is a bit challenging). I have learned that juggling work, Oliver, Davis, and me is tough. I have learned that the growing piles of clutter and the bigger and bigger "to do" lists are not important. What is important is playing with Oliver, spending time with Davis, and taking those few minutes of "free" time and giving them to myself rather than to checking things off a list.

I love seeing the world through Oliver's eyes and look forward to what he will show me over the next year.

Happy birthday Oliver!


3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Oliver! You're getting so big!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Oliver! Maybe the sun will shine on your birthday weekend as a special treat!

    ReplyDelete