
Back in September Oliver decided that he was going to start pooping in the potty - and, ever since he decided to do that he has. Since September we have had just one accident (I say accident, but it was calculated - he declared he was going to have a "massive blowout" "just like Henni"). Since September we've had some conversations about peeing in the potty, but they usually ended with Oliver saying "I just love my diapers so much." So I ordered a book and downloaded the three day potty training boot camp. I started reading the guide while pumping in the parking lot at work the other day (ah, the joys of motherhood). Only a couple pages into the boot camp guide I decided that this potty training stuff is serious business, and that Davis and I would need to sit down and mark out three days on the calendar - the guide was clear that we would need three days with nothing - nothing but potty. I decided we'd think about it after our trip (as much as I wanted Oliver out of diapers the idea of a weekend of nothing but potty was not very alluring).
Well, eleven days ago Oliver declared that he didn't want to wear diapers anymore. I had a momentary freak-out - I didn't get past page three in the guide and never read the book! How do I potty train a child?! Well, just like Oliver trained himself to poop in the potty, he trained himself to pee in the potty (and behind the rhododendron in the backyard, and behind the cedar tree at the playground, and behind the rose bush in the neighbor's yard...). Amazingly since he decided to give up his diapers he's had only 5 accidents. Once again I am reminded how much our children teach us, how all the books and guides and craziness are not really necessary, and how going with the flow is really the best approach (and how crazy life is right now - 11 days to document this amazing milestone!).
No comments:
Post a Comment