Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Wall


Every parent knows the dreaded Wall (cue scary music)- that is, the point in time when your child goes from a wonderful, happy child who is full of smiles, imagination, play...to a child who can't stand up, is irrational, irritable, unable to play, unable to do much of anything at all. The Wall (scary music again, please), is something that can be avoided - most of the time. However, when a two and a half year old is transitioning (or arguably has transitioned) out of his nap, the Wall sometimes appears rather suddenly, with no apparent warning at all.

The other night both kids were super happy and loving being in (somewhat) matching jammies. Davis ran downstairs to get the camera to snap a picture of their cherub-like faces, when - XZ*%$! - the Wall appeared out of nowhere and by the time he got back upstairs they two kids were melting down in a manner similar to the Fukushima nuclear reactor.

When I got downstairs after getting the wee ones to sleep I found that Davis had sent me this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7cn46HSuHc and had included the following "I think this about sums it up- Green hat, blue hat, oops! Dump truck, block wall, high speed...oops!"

As I said earlier, it is usually possible to avoid hitting the Wall. My day usually involves quite a bit of planing and fancy footwork to make sure that neither Oliver nor Henni crash. Somehow in and amongst everything I forgot about the lesser known Wall - the one that can result in a mommy crashing. Last week that Wall appeared out of nowhere (although some might say it was there, in plain view, I just chose to ignore it). Over the last month I have taken on a number of things - heading back to work, painting class, yoga teacher training, getting myself back to the gym, doing some work at a local yoga studio, and taking on a consulting job. This is in addition to all the wonderful things we moms get to do (20+ loads of laundry a week, pumping, cleaning, grocery shopping...) in addition to our full time job of being a mom. Things got so crazy that we managed to run out of toilet paper, diapers for Oliver, and shampoo and (almost) soap. Dirty and tired I began to realize that I had hit that wall and was probably suffering from some sort of delusion - that I could, and should, do it all. After some consultation with some super smart moms (thank you!) Thursday night I decided to put the yoga teacher training on hold til the fall and not work three jobs (clearly delusional - when is that ever a good idea!?). Saturday morning dawned and I headed off to painting class (where I finished my painting and I am in love with it) and returned home to find flowers, and even more wonderful, that Davis had gone to the grocery store. I exhaled and looked around for my list of things to do - then realized I had been too busy to make a list - I decided that meant nothing had to get done - a free weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Doing it all is the biggest load of manure. Good for you for taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete