Friday, August 26, 2011

Irene

Having children brings a whole new reality. While this is something I have known since July 2, 2008, this past week has hammered the point home.

Henni got sick on Tuesday. Being just 9 months she wasn't able to tell me what was going on, but by spiking a high fever and sleeping from 8AM til 2 PM she let me know things were not right. Motrin and sleep and the next day she seemed a little better, but still not herself. Wednesday night I spent the night alternating between sweating through my clothes and freezing to death. As it turns out Henni had the flu - and decided to share. In the morning Henni and I were both tired and feverish. Recognizing that what I would have liked to do - take some serious flu drugs and spend the day alternating between the bed and the couch and between sleeping and watching silly movies - was not going to happen I decided the best course of action was to get out of dodge. I packed up the monsters and motrin and we headed to the Stone Zoo. Unfortunately the zoo was not so awesome. We blew through it in a matter of minutes, sad because of the state of the facility, and found ourselves in the car much sooner than we would have liked. I actually should say much sooner than Henni would have liked - personally my sweaty aching body was looking forward to an hour of driving and not wresting children - the child screamed and screamed and screamed and so we soon found ourselves at a playground. We played, took our motrin and headed home. We arrived home in time for Oliver to get a fever. Last night was not pretty - a mommy with a fever of 103.5, a rocket with a similar fever, a Henni with a fever, and a house that looked like a mommy had gone on strike - oh wait, I did. Today was much of the same, minus the not-so-awesome zoo trip (today we attempted a feverish hike, only to be chased back to the car by mosquitoes the size of large dinos).

Anyway, while most of our little friends have spent the last few days at the beach and the playground soaking in the amazing weather before school starts and before hurricane Irene traps us indoors for a couple days, we have been quarantined. (Ok, so we may not be trapped inside - we went out and bought new rain boots today - we are going to need to get some post-sickness energy out, even if Irene comes to visit.)

Now another reality. Man O War. Man O War is as near and dear to my heart as any place. If we could finagle a way to live there, even for a bit, we would do it. Davis calls Man O War home and has many close friends there- people whom I have been lucky enough to get to know over the past several years. These friends just experienced hurricane Irene. In fact, the eye of the storm went over Man O War. Land lines and the internet are down and cell services is spotty. Following several social media sites which I have no clue how to use or even how I stumbled upon them, we have manged to get some updates on the general area, but no specific updates on how the people on Man O War are doing and the condition of things there. If we were child-free we would both be on a plane there now - eager to help with the post-storm clean up, or, if things were in an ok place, head further south in the Bahamas to the Family Islands where we are told close to 90% of the homes have been destroyed.

But here we are and as much as I would love to curl up with some flu drugs or get on a plane to the Bahamas, I love my children to pieces and can not even begin to imagine my life without them.

I mean really- there is flying remote control helicopters in big boy pants-

Smiles and hugs (I want to hold Henni!) after Davis' Boston Light swim a couple weeks ago

And adventures like walking the Rockland Breakwater in the rain - all the while totally ignoring the fact that it is raining, except that it, learning that the backpack has a rain shield - just when the rain ended.



Not sure what Davis is doing in the above picture. Or perhaps, given the Badger's sneaky face I should be asking what she has been up to.


1 comment:

  1. Hope everyone is okay down on Man O War, and that you've all recovered!

    ReplyDelete